Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey i need some advice...

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Hail_Araya, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Hail_Araya

Hail_Araya

Mar 12, 2006
    Ive been playin bass for about 5 months now...not long and my first bass, and the one i still have, is a yamaha rbx 374 and i think im ready for a new one. any suggestions on an affordable (up to $500 or so) step up?

2. Hi

My advice would be to check E-Bay. You never know your luck you might be able to grab a Fender if you are lucky.

Del

3. tetsuma4l

tetsuma4l

Mar 9, 2006
    australia
    yeah go ebay for sure just get a second hand bass. im saving for a secondhand Warwick Thumb set-thru 5 string

4. richardn517

richardn517

Feb 28, 2006
    check out for an Ernie Ball SUB Bass you can buy them new for around 700 and they go on e-bay for around 400 in fairly new cond. Ive also found early 80s american fenders for around the same price

Good Luck

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    What's wrong with the Yamaha? Alder body, maple neck, nice pickups and a decent master volume/blend/bass/treble configuration. Why do you think you need a new bass?

6. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Yeah, I agree with SteveC. If there's nothing wrong/broken with the Yamaha, what is it that that you want to do on the bass that the Yamaha won't do for you? Maybe you should stick with it for awhile.

7. Unless there is a really compelling reason to part with you current bass I agree with the last 2 - Maybe you should consider taking that baby in for a nice full-blown setup. Have you had that done? It is really amazing the difference a setup makes.

--tz

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A professional setup is a great suggestion. Breathes new life into a bass.

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    My two cents. Keep the Yamaha for now, save some more money till you know what YOU want. Unless your going to spend a grand or more (that may be a little much) your just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.