Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi all, 51 Kay repair question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Whit Townsend, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Greeting everyone! Nice Board.

I play mostly Bluegrass on an old Kay I've had for 16 yrs.
    Great sounding old thumper.
    My fingerboard has developed a bad buzz at the a & e notes on the G & D strings. Prob from playing too much bluegrass in the key of A.
    Its not an ebony board. Some type of stained hardwood. Some stain is wore off here and there, but these are the only buzzy notes and the FB seems otherwise ok.

Should I get the board replaned or get a new FB?

Whats the going rate on this kinda job?
    If I get it planed, I'd like to dye the wood back dark.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    See my response to your other post. I would recommend getting a new ebony fingerboard over planing a thinner maple or rosewood board. Jeff Bollbach replaced my fingerboard recently and I couldn't be happier. You get a big, fat board (and I recommend getting a new bridge at the same time) the sound is going to become much warmer. Jeff (who is a great luthier in a very competive market {competitive in the sense of the number of folks in the area who do really great work, not in the "I'm going to kill your offspring" sense}) gave me a new fingerboard and bridge for significantly less money than it would have cost me to buy a new plywood bass. Figure $1000 -1200.

3. bpclark

bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    I just had the fingerboard on my Kay reshaped along with the bridge being worked on and it came in around $200.

4. thanks bpclark, was hoping for about that.