Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hi!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Cygnusx2112, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    Hi,

im new here so i thought id say hi! :)

Im just a begginer on the ol' 4 string, hehe and...yeah!

Huge Rush fan too! I love Geddy Lee man, he was the guy that insipred me to start playing bass!

My current equip. is as follows:

Fender P-Bass Squier
    Fender Rumble 15 Watt amp

I know, nothing too special (i found myself drooling yesterday at the pics of some of your guy's amp and cab setups!

Im sure ill enjoy it here!
    Cyggie.

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    yo.

The best advice I can give you is to immerse yourself in all the forums, except basses and amps. Otherwise you'll find yourself lacking money quick.

And here G.A.S = Gear aquisition syndrome. You'll see that alot.

3. Welcome.

Enjoy yourself here at the undisputedly best online resource for bass players.

Rush fan here too!

4. Watch out for John Turner. He might eat you.

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    First off, welcome to TB!

Second, check out the newest issue of Bass Player. Geddy has the cover story.

6. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    heh...im allready lacking money from looking at all that stuff! :eek: (not really)

Where would i get that Bass Player mag? And who is Joco?

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    welcome to talkbass :) you'll find a lot of us are big rush fans.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Jaco Pastorius, look him up!
    +1, you will go broke (like me:smug: )if you peer into the Amps/Cabs and Bass sections.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hello new here. :D

-Mike

10. As a newbie, the best advice is:

The "Search" feature is your friend
    Read the Rules!

best wishes

11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Barnes and Noble, Borders, or Tower Records (assuming you live in the US.) Check any major bookstore or newsstand in your area.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Welcome! :hyper: (<- me waving with both hands ;) )

Yeah, I blame Geddy too, if it weren't for him, I'd have ended up a pilot or a marine biologist. Instead, I manage a bass manufacturer.

...maybe I should THANK Geddy, instead? :D

Looks like a good beginner's setup, I've had students that had the Squier P and with a good setup it actually plays and sounds very good. As for the amp, as long as you can hear yourself through it, it's good enough for what you need now. Eventually you will "upgrade" all that stuff, but for now, make the best of what you have - and heed the warnings to stay out of the Basses and Amps forums!!! (Stay away from me too...the basses we make at work cause INTENSE GAS! :eek: ) Instead, try hanging in the General Instruction and Technique forums, you'll be MUCH happier that way! ;)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it here too! :)

13. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    Yeah, i am truely a begginer and dont know any good fingering techniques. Any tips? one day i hope to be as good as the Gedmiester! and ill have to look up that Jaco guy and check out that mag!

14. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    Oh, and it may just be me...but, why is the bass guitar so underrated?! That drives me insane! I mean, yeah, there are alot of people here, but you know, you see alot more guitar players then you do bass, which has always confused me!

15. HI!!!!

enjoy the huge overwhelming of feeling small in this world by being blown away from other peoples gear!!!

i like how bass is underrated, cause no one plays it so theyre in demand.

on the other hand, i hate ignorant douchebags who think we're failed guitarists

16. Welcome.

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Your name pretty much ownz.

18. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    heh heh...thanks...my name is a tie between one of the best Rush albums ever and my favourite rush tune, "Cygnus x1" (which has some rippin' awesome bass lines by ged!)

I usually only go by Cygnus, but that name was taken, so I got creative!