1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hipshot BT7 Extender Key

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lowendpurveyor, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Hi, does anyone know if the Hipshot BT7 Extender Key will fit a Squier Classic Vibe series bass without modification (no new or changed screw holes)? Can someone tell me how well the Hipshot Extender Key works? Have you had any problems with tuning or intonation using the Extender Key? Thanks.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Can't tell you anything in particular about the BT7 and its compatibility with a Squier, but I can tell you that the Extender works very well. I have one on all of my basses, and I use them regularly. The Extender is a good design that is constructed robustly.

Be sure and read the tuning instructions that come with the key. If you tune the E to pitch, then drop the lever and tune the D, when you come back up to E it's commonly a few cents sharp. The trick is to do this, note how sharp it is, re-tune the E the same amount FLAT, then tune the D, then when you come back up to E, it should be in tune.

(Substitute your own values for "E" and "D" above.)

-t

3. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    cool. thanks for that tip.