1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hit a GAS bump

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Gregmak, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Hi everyone,

What do you do when you have nothing else left to buy for your bass?

I just got a a new bass, slapped some spirocore's, a realist, and acoustic image coda amp, and I love the sound! Every now and then I mix in a atm-350 mic. But I pretty much have nothing else I want to buy right now, and I don't like that!

Anyone else in the same boat? :D

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Greg Mak

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands, If you're happy and you know it clap your hands, If you're happy and you know it, then your gear will truly show it, If you're happy and you know it, play your bass.

Ric :D :) :thumbsup:

Jsn and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  3. mtto

mtto Supporting Member

May 25, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Buy a bow.

Jsn likes this.
  4. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Haha thanks for that, made me laugh!

Also I'm not ready to invest in a bow yet, I need more knowledge first.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Practice.

hdiddy and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  6. Not ready for a bow? Then GAS for the knowledge of the bow, and then the bow itself of course. Half the fun (if not all, or some, or a wee bit of the fun) of GAS is in the researching the options/alternatives available.

The alternative is to revel in the fact that you've got everything you need and be content and happy with that and not buy into the consumerism so rampant in the world today.

Though I have plenty of GAS pains, I often reset my "want" perspective with:
    "What do I really need?"
    The answer is always simple: See drurb's post above for the answer.

7. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Guys practice goes without saying. I spent hours every day on practicing, and then some more hours jamming. This was a humorous attempt in what else do we actually go and spend money on.
    Obviously I don't go around throwing money at anything I see! I just reached a point myself right now, where I have everything I "need" for now. A good bow is definitely something I will invest in, though like I said I'm not at the stage where I'm ready to spend more money on a bow.

Anyway, I was just using some humor to see what other bass players spend money on :)

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm right there and have been for a while. It's a great place to be!

9. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    It's definitely a good place for me too, but it's too soon for me to judge! ;)

10. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Maybe you shouldn't take us so seriously. :) I've had no GAS for quite some time. Never wondered what I might do about it. I just play and am happy! Don't worry-- you'll think of something. Just give it time.

11. Yeah, the OP was taken in context, ie humorous, no worries there. My post above was intended to be in the same vein. GAS right now is for things I don't need, just want: BassBone OD (when my PZed-Pre is perfectly fine); EHX B9 (when my current pedals suffice). The biggest GAS pain is reserved for that magic pill/lesson/instructional DVD that will transform me overnight into a monster player without all that "hours upon hours of practice" nonsense.

Maybe you should GAS some new strings? D'Orazio Spyrachromes?

dor-psycho.

Treyzer likes this.
  12. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    My bad! Never seen those strings I'll check them out. What I ended up buying last night is a bass bib, and edge protectors. Never had any of those.
    I guess I'll start buying some more records :D

13. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I don't GAS as much as I just.....throw money into the bottomless pit of upright bass in my quest to find the sound I'm looking for.

jthisdell likes this.
  14. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Please let me know if you find it! :) Actually, I was thinking last night about how I've spent far more on lessons with good teachers than I have on equipment. So, if I were looking to spend bass-related $$$, I might go right for that again.

Ed Fuqua and Treyzer like this.
  15. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    There I want a Troll mic now :D

16. Oooohhh...

I forgot about the Troll mic.

Good GAS!

17. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    That didn't take long! :)

18. mtto

mtto Supporting Member

May 25, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Beware of Stanley Clarke and Charles Mingus records. I bought them in high school and ended up with a bow! :)

19. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    My goal right now is to get all the Lucky Thompson records. I did a lot of Mingus listening some years ago, but never listened to Stanley Clarke much.

Recent records I bought are:

Frank Hewitt - Salience
    Lucky Thompson - Lucky Thompson meets Oscar Pettiford
    Charlie Parker - The Washington Concerts
    Lee Wiley - West Of The Moon
    Kenny Dorham - Kenny Dorham Sings

All great records!

20. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Money can't buy imagination.