1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hocke Cabs (3012HO / 3015 enclosures)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ale29, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    Hi, I've found this Czech cab maker that builds cabs based on eminence 3012HO and 3015 drivers:
    HOCKE - Boxy neodym
    That's not something new at all, it's just that they are VERY affordable and 99% of other cutting-edge cab builders are located overseas.
    Does anyone know how is the quality of these cabs? Are they built properly for the drivers or they are just some random boxes with expensive drivers thrown in?
    I'm quite suspicious because of the price, because I can't understand a word of czech and because that piezo tweeter in the 3012ho cab seems cheap to me.

Another question: do somebody know any other cab builder located in Europe that builds this kind of stuff? Except Barefaced, which i know about of course.

2. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    What's the conversion between Czech and the Euro? I can't make heads or tails of those prices.....

3. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    1 czech krone = 0,0397 €
    That's like 350€ for a 1x12 3012HO cab. Sure it's heavier than some competitors at 15kg, but still light overall and could be a great bang for buck.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If I'm guesstimating right, I'd ballpark the internal volume around 55 litrrs (about 2 cu.ft.). That means it's probably big enough to have some decent bottom end. At least they're not wasting a good driver by stuffing it in a box to market ultra small and light. I can't tell anything else....no speaka czech. I assume 15mm is the panel thickness. Can't tell if it's plywood or mdf. 15kg (33 pounds) isn't too heavy.

5. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    I'm sure there are owners of Hocke cabs on talkbass, if so maybe they could give some info about bracing/overall quality of the cab itself.
    I may send an email to Mr.Hocke himself and see what's his answer.

6. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    Using an online translator, I've found out that they are made of 11 layers of plywood (Finnish Birch), for a total of 15mm thickness.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That's quality 5/8" plywood, nothing cheap or substandard about that. Would need some bracing but in the small cab, not an excessive amount. Perhaps this guy is something of a Europa's version of Avatar speakers. Affordable, but with build quality equal to it's more expensive mainstream competitors. Not the level of a Barefaced by any stretch, but something "good" more people can afford.

8. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    Not the level of a Barefaced regarding build quality or sound as well? I mean, those details in cabs construction do make an audible difference or is it just for a more solid and/or lighter result?

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Much lighter, custom design speakers, purpose-specific designed and built crossovers, wide dispersion 2 and 3 way designs beyond the typical one-way speaker cab, full detailed technical specs, etc. Similair kinds of things that set the fEARful apart from typical 410's, etc.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Don't get me wrong, I can't tell much more about the Czech guy, but he is using high quality wood and premium drivers, that's already better than some stuff out there, it's worth looking into further.

11. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    I see. I actually would be interested in a N112H pre-wired for GK bi-amp system, so that the crossover point becomes moot. I need to gather more info about these cabs tho. For example, it's not mentioned the model of tweeter used...

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ya, from the little bit I can tell, it's worth the time to find out more. Post what you find out for our European members here.

13. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    I've sent an email to Hocke. Will keep you informed once i get an answer.

14. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    And here's his answer:

"Greetings from Czech.

Tweeter is piezo Le Son TLC5 (as MARKBASS, Ampeg etc...).

The piezotweeter does not make sense for Bi - amping and better tweeter fit in there and would increase the weight. The box is reinforced and damp.

Hocke"

A better tweeter would increase the weight? It would hardly be 1kg heavier, big deal...or am I missing something? But at least the cab should be braced ("reinforced") and dampened.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Piezo's are very inexpensive, very light (all plastic) and don't require a crossover. It's part of the reason he's able to keep his prices down. If you want a better tweeter and use your Gk biamp function, you'd have to add that later yourself.

But, quality wood, braced, damped, premium driver, sufficient port area = good cab.

16. I'd say then these cabs are worth czeching out, but I keep wondering what kind of finnish he's using on the birch cabinetry....:bag::D

17. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    I may even buy one of his cabs. Once my Orange OBC 115 is sold, that is.
    But, something like Barefaced, Baer, etc. was my original idea and depending on the budget i could stick to the original plan :)

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    :D:D

Finnish birch = Russian birch. The stuff's not light but super strong, really resistant to flex, vibration, etc. I built a 210 out of it once. Thing was a good deal heavier than I was anticipating, but I wouldn't have even hesitated to block up a loaded dumptruck with it and sleep under it, and that was 1/2". Some of the strongest plywood I've ever seen. It wouldn't take a whole bunch of bracing to have an incredibly strong cab.

19. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    I'm bumping the thread because Hocke sent me a picture of how does the cab look inside (I didn't even ask for it, very thoughtful). I'm very interested in hearing your opinion and, once my OBC 115 is gone (Any european tber here interested? :p) I will probably buy a tweeterless 12" cab.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That bracing is sufficient considering how strong the wood he's using. Taking the time to put all the holes in the braces shows some good care/thought. It makes it lighter while still being just as strong. Assuming he lines the walls (damping) before installing the parts, that's a good cab. That port area should be enough for the HO driver.