1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hofner Club strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gip111, Feb 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    So I've had a Hofner Club bass for a few months now and recently got LaBella flats .039-.096 lights for it and was disappointed in the sound, dull and flat sounding. Previous to that I had Hofner round wound light gauge strings which I must say sounded louder and livelier but with pronounced string noise. I'm still looking for a set of flats for the Club and was thinking of D'Addario .045-.100 chrome medium scale. I know strings are a personal choice but I just wonder what your Club is strung with.
    Any thoughts, input?

2. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    My 64 Club is strung with Pyramid flats. Love them on that bass.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My Hofner Ignition Club is strung with Labella 760NHBB nylon tapewounds.

4. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    Man, it can get pricey trying to find the "right" strings.

5. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I don't have a Hofner Club, but the flats I've tried with Contemporary and Ignition basses fits your description of dull and flat. When I buy new strings, they'll probably be rounds next time. I know most people rave about LaBella flats, but I guess I'm in the minority.

6. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    TI Flats on mine. Not as thumpy as La Bellas.

Rocker949 likes this.
  7. ldryder

ldryder

Sep 8, 2014
    I had La Bella Hofner .039 .056 .077 .096 flats on my 500/1-62-0 for a few months, and was much happier when I changed back to the Hofner strings that came with the bass as there was much less sustain.

The feel and sound of strings is sure subjective to each and every player.

Rocker949 likes this.
  8. If you want an open, lively sound, the Thomas-Infeld Jazz ROUND wound, short scale, are great for Hofners. If you want a McCartney sound, try the Pyramid Gold Flats, short scale. Both are great strings, but they are quite different from each other.

Rocker949 likes this.