Hohner The Jack and GHS 5630 strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pasquale, Jan 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pasquale

Pasquale

Jan 4, 2016
    Brunico, Italy
    Hi everyone,

I play a four string passive Hohner The Jack E-Bass (purchased 1989) which uses a lic. Steinberger System. I need double ball end strings and it seems to me that only GHS is producing them. My problem: the D string seems to be too long, because when I tune it, I really am on the max side with the knob, i.e. I couldn't tune it any higher if I'd like to. I already tried to clean and oil the mechanics: the knob is fine, it's really that it is on the max.

Any advice? Thanks.

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I'll respond to you here, since you also emailed me (and on here, it may help someone else).

I checked our specs, and all of them (save the B string) should measure 35.25" long (give or take 1/16) from the inside of the ball ends. If you can measure the D string to ensure that it's the correct length (I will do so here) to see if we can track down the issue.

markjazzbassist and Pasquale like this.
  3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    ++
    As good as CS gets.

4. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Okay, I measured about two dozen.

I was incorrect in my original post; the winding length should be 35.75" from inside of the ball ends and NOT 35.25" long.

Again for clarity, 35.75" from the inside of the ball ends is correct. The spec hasn't been changed since June of '94, when we changed the winding direction.

Of all the two dozen D strings (which in the OP's case, is DBB63), the majority of them were 35.75" on the money. A couple of them were 35.625, which falls under that "give or take 1/16" tolerance that we have for these.

So, unless you got a D string that is longer than that (I will wait to hear from you), I'm not sure what else I can offer up as a solution, as my findings here indicate that the stock we have falls within our tolerances.

Pasquale likes this.
  5. Pasquale

Pasquale

Jan 4, 2016
    Brunico, Italy
    Thank you, I will measure asap and reply; I fear that the spec is too long for that particular bass model.

6. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
  7. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Possibly? Those specs were made originally with Ned Steinberger, as GHS worked closely with him to develop the strings. If other non-Steinberger instruments didn't adhere to the extremely strict tolerances of his design, there's sadly nothing I can do about that.

Pasquale likes this.
  8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    If you're unable to find a string of the right length, try cutting a slot in an old barrel and slipping the barrel over the string, using it at the headstock end as a spacer. That'll buy you about 1/4" of adjustment.

I've not needed double-ball strings, but thought there were more than one manufacturer of them.
    Check with Jason at 'BassStringsOnline'.

9. Pasquale

Pasquale

Jan 4, 2016
    Brunico, Italy
    The D string was 35.8 approx and you were right: I had ordered some spare knobs from Hohner (they come with spring and nut) and substituted the one for D and guess what: it turns further now! The problem was the knob/spring/nut, not the string :) I'm so glad about it! Thanks all of you for your help and also for alerting me about other vendors. The more convenient one for me sells GHS only, now I know I can stick to them.
    Besides, Jon, are there more kinds of roundwounds (medium)? I'm currently using 5630.

Feelin' good on talkbass :bassist:

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  10. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Awesome, I'm glad we were able to figure out the problem and you were able to fix it easily.

As for other options in double ball end, we've got an Extra Light set (5610, 30-90) and a Light set (5620, 40-102), but that's really it. The headless, double-ball setup has waned a lot in the past 10-15 years, and the guys that are still making headless basses are using the adaptors to allow regular strings, or in the case of Ned Steinberger, develop a way to have a completely headless instrument while still using regular strings (the NS Radius does this). So sadly no, there aren't a lot of options for guys that want to keep using double-ball strings.

Pasquale likes this.
  11. arborinfeilx

arborinfeilx

Feb 18, 2012
    I ordered my strings online from Amazon Germany. Today I received them and I have the total opposite problem. I have a Hohner Jack Bass Custom V and the strings seem to be shorter. With some effort I managed to place the ball ends into their places and. In the first 3 seconds while tuning the G string it just snapped and it was not even close to G. The label says Steinberger system so it has to fit. So I guess I have the right strings if not can someone point me to the right maker and model.

P.S: Sorry about my English.
    20170601_215424.jpg 20170601_215438.jpg

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021