1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Homebrew coating

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Shoewreck, Aug 21, 2007.

1. DISCLAIMER! This method damatically changes the tone and isn't reversible. If you want to try it - be shure you won't regret much about throwing away a set of strings. Testing is still on.

I wanted to try coated strings, but didn't want to spend much, so I decided to coat one of my used sets.
    I used acrylic sealing dissolved in water (1:3 or maybe 1:5 ratio). Applied 3 thick coats (letting each one dry for about an hour). The first thing I noticed is that the strings became somewhat sticky. Then, when I took 'em off the hanger - they became less flexible.

I installed a D string on my bass and was immediately astonished with the tone. I've never heard such a dead string! But I definetly liked the tone. No string buzz, very nice mids. The sound is nothing like regular roundwounds. I even began to doubt the string was made of metal :eek:.

Now I'm going to try this trick with another used set applying less sealing. I feel I'm on the right way. I'm going to call this "The Moonlight Technology".

2. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Now, that's an idea. It sounds like what you have is a thicker coating that probably acts more like a tapewound string than a coated string. A product like Plasti Dip would provide some nice, bright, color options.

3. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    sounds like your strings are tailor made for me, let me know if you go into production

4. Muhaha! Thinner coating - again three times, but each layer is much thinner. Now with GHS Bassics. Almost stock feel, string ground now works. Doesn't sound as dead as the previous batch. Full punchy and growly midrange, no zing, just a little air when treble is full up...

The sealing may have soaken into the string. Haven't seen a tapewound, but my strings look almost like they did before.

You know the recipe.

5. RMBBE

RMBBE

Nov 9, 2006
    an excellent idea!

im not much of a tech guy, but maybe if you want to slicken em up a bit add some mineral oil to the mix as well. It makes even old dirty strings feel excellent on the fingers.

6. One more problem: the sealing doesn't stick well with the G string. It began to peel off in the area I thump. Will I manage to make the coating even thinner? Have a strong urge to coat almost new (and already washed) DR's, but still fight.

RMBBE
    Oil won't dissolve in water and it is rather hard to emulsify. But it can be easily applied on coated strings without a risk of altering the tone. The easiest way is to eat your favourite chicken or potatoe chips before playing.

7. RMBBE

RMBBE

Nov 9, 2006
    ah right right, sorry about that. if you have any fantastic breakthroughs, let us all know! im wondering how a soon to be perfected solution would work on guitar strings...

8. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    Maybe you could try an old set of flats?

9. one thing to note...new strings will have a small amount of lubricant on them, so the coating won't stick well...

when manufacturers such as US Can lithograph new spray cans they must first remove this lubricant...may I suggest a wash in the washing machine (wrap the strings in a ring and throw them over the spindle...don't add any clothes)...then a good wipe down with naptha prior to spray application.

10. The curent recipe is:
    Mix 5-10 parts of vodka (water mixed with alcohol suits, too) with 1 part of acrylic sealing.
    Apply two thin coats with a soaked and squeezed piece of cotton wool, letting each coat dry for half an hour.

The DR's now sound just in-between "dead" and "broken-in". No zing, but good attack.

Now I'm going to see how long will the strings last. The sealing seems to have soaked in-between the outer windings and now should protect the strings from unwanted dirt getting into. It may look somewhat strange to kill a string to make it last longer, but since I like the sound why shouldn't I?

11. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Where do you get the acrylic sealing from and is it labelled on the container as acrylic sealing , im intrigued , also what do the strings look like after the coating

12. The sealing is widely used in building. Surface dims if you overdo the coating. Looks like stock if you don't. It's not exactly coating It's more of filling.

Currently I play the same set of DR's. I notice a hint of break-in, strings sound a bit brighter than they did just after the threateing, but the annoying zing has gone forever.