1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Horse Hair: Does it matter where it comes from?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Bin Son of Bin, Mar 9, 2013.

1. I was talking with my wife about some horse hair that I had been looking at online at various sources. It seemed that hair from Mongolia is very popular, as well as Siberia.

But my question is this: Why not hair from local horses (Canadian in my case)? Why can't I go to my local horse ranch and get some hair from their horses? I'm assuming that there is cleaning that must be done but are there other reasons?

Why is Siberian horse hair $500.00 a pound?

I'd just love to get me some local Ottawa/Aylmer horse hair for my bow. :)

Jason

2. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    I know that Prochownik uses Canadian horse hair and it's fairly different.

3. That's very interesting. Do you know how it is different?

4. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    IIRC, the colder the climate, the better the hair is for bows. I believe this may only apply to white hair but I could be wrong.

Canada may produce decent hair if that's the case; but at the same time Mongoia and Siberia get pretty cold too.

5. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I imagine that different breeds of horses have hair with different characteristics. That's not to say you couldn't find usable hair but it may be a bit hit or miss.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I wonder if Dragonetti had Mongolian horse hair on his bows.

7. LowA

LowA

May 15, 2013
    South Germany
  8. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
  9. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Reading only the title, the first thought in my head is - usually, hair from the tail works best. ;)

10. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010

Very interesting.
    I was thinking the same thing. Mongolian? but which breed?
    Canadian? again. . .which breed? Horse? Pony, even Mule?

11. Yes. Hair must come from cold climates for bass bows. It is a very time consuming and labor intensive process to clean and sort the individual hairs into grade piles. The Canadian hair from michael vann is very good. If you buy from him, the 31 or 32 inch white bass bow hair is great.