Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hot or cold

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by warnan, Apr 17, 2005.

1. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    how to test the wire since i don't know which is hot or cold.
    multimeter? help

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Looks like insulated and bare wire from what I can tell. Bare wire will always be intended for ground. Since they're only in pairs (from what I can tell) what's left is the hot lead (start of the coil).

A meter will tell which leads are connected to a given coil. It won't tell you which is the start and which is the finish of that coil. 90% of the time they're interchangeable and it doesn't matter - in fact you can use a bare ground as a hot lead and the insulated wire as a ground in such cases (not recommended simply becuase of increases probability of shorts and the loss of current flow through bare wire of more than about an inch and a half in length). But I've done it with a lead and ground braid on Barts to get parallel and put a pair of pups in phase.

On occasion, you'll get some funk tone if the leads are reversed and definitely get phase issues if the hots are reversed in relation to another pup.

3. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    thanks a lot luknfur.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

sorry for the delayed response but typically (though not always), I'll just pick up any threads that have made it to the bottom of the first page with no response.