Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hot-rod 51 RI P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Just scored this on da-bay...can't wait to get it in my grubby little mitts :cool:
    Stock pup is an SD Basslines SCPB3, and a vintage Jazz pup in the bridge position...upgraded 4 saddle bridge...all the stock bits came with it too.

2. wow looks good

i always thought the '51 style Ps were missing something in the bridge position.

this really bring the bass together, super nice man.

3. chout

chout

Dec 21, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hell yeah, those are some nice upgrades! I owned a mid-90's '51RI until I broke the pickup (the top w/the poles snapped out), and couldn't find a replacement (pre internet) so I put a strat lace sensor in it, and sold it. Wish I didn't part with it though.

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I've gigged this twice now, and man, it's superfine;)
    Two observations:
    The additional pup changed control layout from vol/tone to vol/vol, no tone. This, combined with the very bright stainless rounds that came on it will have me moving to Labella flats before I decide whether or not to install 60's fender jazz stacked pots with vol/tone for each pup.
    Build quality, fret work, everything is top notch. Nice and light...The sdbc3 replacement for the stock pup is pretty high gain, and nice and thick.
    Really fun bass!

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool Chef all the best with it ! :bassist:

6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Chef -

That's a really great bass! Classic but just "different" enough to have additional flavor.

Very nice score!

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    bump from the past...
    due to downsizing at work, now f/s:
    [​IMG]