1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Houston Bass Player Wanted

Discussion in 'Wanted: Bass Players' started by ctoddrun, Jan 9, 2007.

1. ctoddrun

ctoddrun

Jun 9, 2004
    Last week our bass player up and quit the band. He didnt say a peep. Didnt even officially say "I'm out", just didnt show and didnt call...

grumblegrumbledamnflakeymusiciansgrumble.

Anyway, we're on the lookout for a replacement. Hope this finds you well and perhaps you can help?

Here is our story:

We are/were a three piece with a singer. We all have full time jobs and families now, all in our mid 30's. The drummer and I are on the same page with what we're planning to do with this band. The singer (Wil) is interested in doing more stuff and is likely to join a second band.

Erik (drums) and I are more interested in practicing about twice (maybe three times) a month and do the majority of our work at home, playing along with the records.

He and I arent going to be able to play every week and we certainly arent doing this for a paycheck.

The set list we've started on dictates that we'll never be one of those Richmond Strip type bands, and we'll be relegated to the metal type bars around town.

No big aspirations to be famous, and only really do this to have fun.

When and IF we ever get a 40 song set list put together sufficiently, we'll likely take it to a stage somewhere. We're better than a LOT of bands I've seen, so its just a matter of doing it when we feel its time.

Not too many bass players who play well are on the same page as that... they'll more likely want to play out every week.

I'm hoping to run across a player who has "been there and done that" and got sick and tired of the work-aspect of it all... now he just wants to have some fun and see where it goes.

Kind of a trick finding someone who is proficient and willing to do it on a fun type basis.

We've all been playing for 20+ years and have professional equipment. I own a PA system as well, so a small bass amp can be fine. We can either mic it or send it direct to the PA. A 1200 watt 18" subwoofer can get it heard with ease.

We've got a really really nice place where we practice. 50" plasma screens, kitchen, showers, air conditioning. Plenty of space to leave the big equipment behind and just take home what we want to take home (which means I leave the big, heavy stuff covered up here and just take the light stuff home). All very secured with alarms and whatnot.

The practice spot is over by the Astrodome. About 1/2 mile outside the loop on S. Main in a gated complex.

Kid friendly... in fact, its a kids paradise... Heavy equipment (like bull dozers and excavators) to play on. Lots of surplus pipe to play in. Big fenced in complex where you dont have to keep an eye on the little ones and they'll be safe.

We typically practice on Saturdays and make a day of it. We'll get started around noon most of the time and go all day. The folks that come out to hang with us will typically grill up a bunch of food at some point during the day. Its basically an all day party every two weeks.

Beer does flow...

I've attached the latest set list we had going. We strive for near note-for-note translations of the songs on this list. There may be instances of "faking" parts here and there, but for the most part, we are pretty close to nailing the recorded versions.

If you know anyone who'd be interested in something like this (including yourself!), we'd be extremely grateful if you'd get us in touch.

Todd (bishop2332@yahoo.com)

Current set list 1/2/07

Song Band
    Prison Sex Tool
    Sober Tool
    Aenima Tool
    The Pot Tool
    Animals Nickelback
    Dogman Kings X
    Figured You Out Nickelback
    Man In The Box AIC
    15 Beers Deaf Pedestrians
    Crazy Train Ozzy
    Steal Away Ozzy
    Far Behind Candlebox
    You Candlebox
    Message In A Bottle Police
    She Green Day
    Tom Sawyer Rush
    Digital Man Rush
    New World Man Rush
    War Pigs Black Sabbath

Songs to learn for next practice

Rain The Cult
    Fire Woman The Cult
    Live Wire Motley Crue
    And Fools Shine On Brother Cane

2. man I wish I still lived in Houston...sounds like my kind of thing goin on.

3. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    man, if it were only an r&b/funk gig...

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'd have to do a little woodshedding, as that's a cover set of the generation or so before me, well some of it, but I'm getting desperate here! :(

5. mcturbo

mcturbo

Mar 23, 2008
    I'll go to the practices and grill! I don't know almost any of the songs.. damn!

6. i know about 80% of the songs on the list
    pm me if you like,
    theres a few things that don't exactly fit your requirements..

7. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    I would worry about having 40 songs. Just make up the 4th set from the first three. Either the crowd turned over by then or there too $hit faced to know the difference.:D:bag: