1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How are behringer cabs???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aschreiber2010, Apr 29, 2009.

1. aschreiber2010

aschreiber2010 Banned

Jan 11, 2008
    I was just wondering how they are since they are pretty cheap and all...comments?

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Save a little more money and get a used Avatar. Behringer are sub-par sounding and the drivers are terribly unreliable.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think you'd have better sound by mounting the speakers in the box they come in. Speakers are by far the weak link in the soundchain, and by far, Behringers are the weakest, IMHO. The price is right, but you get what you pay for.

4. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    Ashdown do a range that isn't much more expensive than the behringer stuff!

doing a search i've just found a behringer 2x10 at £140
    I'm about to buy an Ashdown MAG 2x10 for £180

It's an extra £40 i'd recomend spending
    also, GK do a simmilarly priced range.

5. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    I've heard really terrible, nasty stuff about cheap GK cabs. I've heard really terrible, nasty stuff coming out of B******** cabs. I haven't heard anything about or from an Ashdown and I loved my Avatars.
    Also, look into Carvin.

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I've got that cab! It's a good one. Slightly too cold sounding for me by itself, but pretty tight. Goes really well with my 1x15.

7. +1 i always look forward to your answers

8. Buy a used Peavey, it'll be cheaper, a heck of a lot more reliable and just better all round!

9. another +1 id rather play out of my guitarist back up peavey 4x12. I dont think that i can say enough bad things about there cabs

10. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    + another. For lower priced cabs that are worth buying, think Avatar or Peavey.

11. Used Peavey or Hartke XL-cabs (if you like those alu-cones). With the hydrive-cabs out now, there are a lot of those XL-cabs coming on the used market.

12. I own Peavey and Behringer..

For small venues I play through a 1-12+ horn Behringer... it sounds great then tops out... I've had zero issues with it... I bought for $40 new (floor model)

Now.. that being said.

I also own some Peavey Cabs (and Peavey loaded cabs)... note that there are different drivers (speakers) in different models... overall value for buck I can't say enough for them. Folks forget that this stuff is the combination Durability+Band Mix+Price.. these are not ment to sound like a god wanking around by yourself in the basement. I have seen 4x10 Peaveys (at a store) going in the $300 range.. this should make them $150 or so used. My personal preference are Scorpion and Black Widow speakers as they can handle TONS of power - they do not have a botique tone.

Opinion after all this.. I'd pop a few extra bucks for a used Peavey and be cautious to play it before hand - look around - there are great ones avaialalbe.

I've also seen some swinging deals on Ampeg, SWR etc at used stores... unfortunately the quality and the beatenness of this is all over the place.

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Come ON! They way they market "Bugera" as a sort of "classic" brand, you'd think they were the shizzy...

14. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    The metal Bugera drivers they use are total cheese. I removed mine from my Behringer workstation 2x10...and replaced them with a couple of carvins. Just a great sounding unit now.

If you can get the cab cheap enough....then get it and replace the drivers.

Cheers,
    BT

15. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    The church I play at has an 8x10 Behringer with the paper-cone speakers. A couple of years ago Behringer was donating their overstock 8x10s to non-profits, -which was a cool thing to do, and we got one. I've heard their cabs with the metal coned speakers, and I think we all agree that those sound like crap. I do like their cabinets with the paper-coned speakers, I've played quite a few different amps through that 8x10 over the past 3 years, and it sounds good to me. It's not a high end cabinet, but it's a good cabinet. I also had a 2x10 Behringer, I A/B'd it with my Eden 210T, and it was pretty darn close, -although I doubt it would hold up like the Eden. I've also had an Eden 410xlt, and 2 different Mesa 4x10s, just for reference. IMO, the Behringers with the paper cones are a good value, but stay clear of the metal coned cabs. They have kind of a goofy tweeter arrangment, it's either on or off, I leave it off. Oh, and the wheels on the 8x10 are too small, the bottom edge of the cabinet gets kind of torn up because of the low clearance.

16. smithal3

smithal3

Apr 18, 2009
    Never get the aluminum cones, only the paper cones. The aluminum ones sounded mega cheap but I own a paper BB115 and it sounds pretty good.

17. They are perfect cabs nothing wrong with them, if you are using them to anchor smaller boats (10ft - 30ft) I would get a 4-10 cab, for larger boats (30ft - up) I would recommend an 8-10.

18. Barry Clark

Barry Clark

May 9, 2007
    Having used GK rigs for a very long time and for several years at a shot, I can say I have never had an issue with their cabs. I think many issues people have has more to do with the user than the rig. I had that confirmed by a number of years selling music equipment.

19. I just bought a new Ampeg 400 watt (the one with the bottom ports, not the 200 watt model with no ports) 4x10 half stack for $479 and think I got a good deal.

20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The Behringer heads aren't bad at all. I own a B4500h and it's a good sounding, powerful head thru the right cabs. The Behringer paper cone cabs are ok but are stupid heavy. The aluminium cone cabs sound decent, until they start falling apart. I'm not sure if they dealt with that problem yet but even if they did the cabs are heavy.
    Avatar was the bang-for-buck cab champ for quite a while but there prices are going up towards Carvin and Dr. Bass cabs prices. Still if money and time are of the essense, Avatar and the new Carvin cabs are hard to beat. Peavey Tour NEO's are nice and light too.