1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How are Monster cables?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brutal bassist, Apr 2, 2009.

1. i couldnt figure out which thread to put this in. how are the monster bass cables? I figured I should ask before dropping a Grant on a cable (50 dollars). any comments?

2. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    i bought 2 monster bass cables about 10 years ago, they were about 40 bucks back then. the salesman told me if anything ever goes wrong just bring them back in for exchange no questions asked. these things have been GIGGED, not babied, and i have yet to even hear a crackle. i'm sure there are other good cables out there, but my Monsters have yet to fail me, highly recommended.

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Not great IMO, Not great at all.

4. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, Éire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    In that price range (low to mid) you can do much better... Lava cable is far superior for about the same money. In the higher price ranges there are many choices available.
    Here's a link to Lava... even if you don't buy from them you'll get educated on cables.
    http://www.lavacable.com/lava.html

5. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i've heard either they are incredible or they are horrible seems to be no middle ground.. they are the warwick of the cable world

6. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    IBTL

7. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    The OP should get ready... :bag:

firesuit.

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I've just experienced the first problem with mine... gonna take it in to where I bought it and see if that "lifetime guarantee" thing is actually true. I hope so cause that is a hell of a lot of cash to drop on 12 feet of wire and rubber.

9. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I bought one six and a half years ago, and since then I've had about 12 of them.

No matter what's wrong with it, you get a free new one. You could slice the damn thing in half and take it to the store and get a free one. Even if there's nothing wrong with the cable, and you just want a new one, you can do that.

I spent $50 on mine. I'd say $50 for 12 cables (so far) isn't bad.

10. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    The instrument cables are trash and the speaker cables are OK.

The instrument cables get twisted up and do not recoil easily.
    They have a lousy "memory".
    If you aren't familiar with the term it means that when you go to coil up the cable it's a sloppy mess because the cable does what it wants to do.
    Am I making any sense to you?
    Look forward to a lot of tripping over your cable if you play on stage.
    The 1/4 inch jacks bend easily as well.

The speaker cables work just fine, but I really don't think they are worth the money.

11. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    IMO, you can do just as well if not better by making your own and it is a fraction of the cost and yes I do have a Monster Cable that I bought many years ago :rollno: and never use because it is too stiff. I use cable I made from Gotham GAC-1 cable and Neutrik 1/4" connectors and they have never failed me.

12. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    +1 This is my experience exactly.

13. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    i used to a work at a music store that used to sell them like hot cakes...because it was the only cable they carried. they are nice cables, sometimes people have lots of issues with them, beware the lifetime guarantee at the end of stay at the music store i heard rumors they were dropping that for "a only if the malfunction is not due to damage clause and rather the manufacturing of the cable" it used to be run it over with a lawn mower and replace it, not so much anymore.i really like how the bass and jazz cables sound.

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Have to concur with the above two posters on the Monster cable being "stiff". It seems like no matter what I do the damn thing is coiling up all weird and only giving me half of the usable length. I have unplugged myself several times on gigs because the cable didn't unwind and I ran out of cord when I still thought I had several feet to go.

If anyone can recommend a cable with the same durability, at the same price point and sound quality, but that unwinds like it's supposed to, I would be all ears.

15. Here's my experience with these:

They are very stiff,
    I've seen bass players with their monster cable coiled real bad, floating in mid air during a gig because of it.

Their bass cable removes some highs, they say it has more lows than other cable but my side by side comparison has shown me that in fact the effect is more like a tone knob slightly rolled off, you loose highs, it has to do with the capacitance of the cable.

Another very important point to consider is that their plugs are slighly larger than regular jacks, they say it makes better contact, my experience has shown me that it can be problematic with some jacks, the cable wanted to pop out, and it did with less effort than a normal cable.

Some people also say that it can, over time, deform the metal part that does the contact with the tip inside some jacks.

So bottom line (in an objective fashion),

They are guaranteed for life

They have a higer capacitance (the bass cables) than other companies wich lead to a sound alteration some like it some don't.

Their jacks are bigger than standard.

Their price is on the high side.

16. The opposite of everything he said.

17. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Guitar player I work with uses one of these and loves it.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MOGGGTR

As for the stiffness of monster cables, I agree, but if you take your time to coil it up it'll uncoil just fine every time. If it gets too tangled, get a new one. Love that warranty. Just say it crackles.

18. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Erebus, thanks for the tip!

19. citizenkane

citizenkane

Feb 7, 2009
    MONSTER BASS - most reliable, best sounding too.

20. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    Definitely noticed high frequency loss. Bad, bad, bad.