1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How are you a grandmaster freak? (also guitar stuff)

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Surprise Panda!, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Hi JMJ,

Onto a more serious topic, in what ways are you (Quote on Quote) "A grandmaster freak"(end quote)? Is it your amazing ability to groove? Or your amazing hair?

All kidding aside, when do you use the guitars during NIN? I saw that you had a Joan Jett, Billy Joe Armstrong, and an Elvis C. guitar. Do you use them a lot?

Thanks,

-Panda

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Great question.

I actually don't know if I am qualified to be a Grandmaster Freak, though I have been known on occasion to get ill, jiggy, sick, fresh and/or def with a bassline and related dance moves. ;)

I use guitars on about 6 songs in the show per night. I have, very strangely, three signature model guitars! Totally unintentional, I just like them.

Fender Elvis Costello Jazzmaster
    Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
    Gibson Billy Joe LP Junior
    Yamaha SGB2000
    Fender Custom Shop shoreline gold Jaguar
    Fender Jaguar HH

All the best,
    JMJ

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dude, no offense because I'm sure you're a great guy to work for, but I would sure hate to be your tech ;) That's got to be a ton of pressure to keep an upright, 6 guitars and 8 electric basses in tune and working. He must be really good.

4. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    He is. Really good. It's a big job, that's for sure.

5. unrealworld82

unrealworld82

Aug 18, 2008

Speaking of your tech - I got to observe a lot of what he did pre-show in Duluth. There was one really funny thing - he was standing over his table/workspace going to town on something with an electric screwdriver - all we could see from the front row was this guy franticly slinging a drill around while literally "999,999" was starting to play... then he ran up there and handed you the Thunderbird I think... for a minute we were worried that you would walk out and he would be like "uhh, problem"... but he had it under control, whatever it was ;)

6. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I would love to be your guitar tech! Its weird, its something I really enjoy (if only there was much money in it). I don't think there is anything original apart from the wood in any of my guitars and basses.

7. AK Rev

AK Rev

Apr 24, 2007
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Hi Justin. I really enjoyed your recent interview and cover. Props to you on that.

Is your tech an accomplished player as well? Many of them seem to be.

8. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Mike is amazing, especially at 24. He's a sick guitarist and songwriter. And sooo savvy with Pro Tools (he assists me in my studio on sessions) and all kinds of programming stuff as well as just signal flow and the nuts and bolts of my very complex setup live.