How can I get lower action without buzz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Herman, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I have a G&L L-2000 and have been working on it trying to get it setup so the action is low without fret buzz. The relief is no more than a business card and the action is 3.8mm from top of fret to bottom of E string on the 12th fret; it's about 3mm on the G string. This seems to be the lowest I can get without buzzing all up and down the neck when played softly.

A few questions - is the action I've described considered low, med, or med-low? Can I expect to get it lower than stated on an L-2000 without fret buzz? If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    3.8 mm is medium

What gauge string are you using?
  3. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    They're the stock SITs and I'm not sure what gauge they are.
  4. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Anyone else have a suggestion?
  5. When you mentioned relief, are you referring to a credit card's thickness, or a super-thin business card?
    If it's the credit card thickness, that's about right, although I usually set just a touch less. If it's the other, you might not have ENOUGH relief.
    I've found that if I have too little relief, that I have a hard time finding a low action without some buzz. I know this can happen with too much relief too.
    String gauge can have a big effect on how tight a string is and feels. It seems the tighter the feel, the lower you can go without buzz.
    Different strings (same gauge) can have a very different feel too.

Just a few thoughts.

6. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    If you are heavy handed your better off with the medium action.
  7. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the advice. I adjusted the relief from about one business card's thickness to about twice that, let the neck settle in for a couple of days, and just now tried to lower the action. Well, I've got it down to about 3mm on the E, 1.8mm on the G with no buzzing and it feels and sounds very good. I'll probably leave it this way for a while and see if this is the setup that works for me - thanks again for the help.