How can i straighten this neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GTH007, Dec 18, 2015.

1. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    I cant seem to get the low action i desire on this bass without fret buzz coming from the first frets.

I wonder if my neck isnt fully straight or if it is twisted because when i slap (and mostly on the E string) i get some fret buzz(especially from the first few frets).

Also,
    How can i check to see if maybe a certain fret is too high and thus causing the buzz.

another thought,
    It also seems as if my bridge isnt stable and contributing to the buzz, any ways i can make it more stable?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You need a short straight edge of appropriate length to use as a "rocker" to find high frets. Stewmac of course makes such a thing, but you can probably make your own.
    [​IMG]
    Fret Rocker | stewmac.com

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Also, the setup sticky thread on the hw setup page is a good read on stuff like this.

4. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Thanks man

5. Manton Customs

Manton Customs UK Luthier

Jan 31, 2014
    Shropshire, UK
    Luthier, Manton Customs
    Check for twist by using your outer strings (E and G if it's 4 string) as straight edges. To do this capo the first fret and fret the last fret, then take a measurement at the 8th fret with feeler gauges or a ruler if you don't have any. Do this on both sides and compare the measurement you get. You may also be able to see the twist if you look down the neck, but using the strings is more accurate.

Though it doesn't sound like whats happening here (twist), it sounds more like a setup issue.

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    It may just need a litle more relief.

7. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Thanks people