Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how close can you put the strings together?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Alex Scott, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have been thinking about moving my strings a little closer together on a sort of solo setup.

I use corelli medium 370's and am trying to figure out how close I can get the strings.

How can I figure that out?

any ideas?

2. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    looks like about 24 mmm, for those curious onlookers, I don't think you want to get closer than that

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Typical width is 26-28mm. When you go narrower, you need to increase the arch of the fingerboard and bridge, or you'll be playing unintended double stops (assuming you are playing arco).

4. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Arnold,

I was going for a Rabbath type solo setup and wanted the strings really close for arco string crossings and stuff.

I am actually very comfortable with the new set-up, although I have abandoned a orchestral career with the current set-up.

In the past, I have considered adding a bevel so the e-string can vibrate more freely, but still be closer to the a string.

I have also been wondering about how changing the fingerboard curve could help. If it were more dramatic, I could probably get the strings a little closer.

Have you ever worked with someone trying to do that?

5. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    eventually, you may find you are out another $500 for the new bridge.