1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I approach a store owner for a price reduction?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SweetKetchup, Jan 2, 2017.

1. SweetKetchup

SweetKetchup

Nov 29, 2015
    Romania
    I've always bought basses online, but now there's a bass I really like in a local store that sells it for 100$ more than online chains, and I'd like to haggle for at least a gigbag for that price, but I don't really know how to approach the owners.
    I've never been to this store before (the one I used to go to offered me discounts without having me ask - I was a frequent customer) and they seem to be an endorser of the brand the bass is, so I don't know why they sell their endorsed product at a higher price than non-endorsers...

What do you do in such situations? I would really support the store and pay full price, but I need a gigbag for the bass and I've already maxed out my budget.

2. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    First, ask the salesman who can you talk to about the price. You don't want to waste time with anyone but decidion-maker.
    Than, introduce yourself as a buyer, not just inquirer. Sellers hate haggling with someone who never intended to buy.
    Now, look him/her straight in the eye (important) and say: I want to buy this. What can we do about the price?
    When he gives you discount, start the haggle. If it stalls, change from $ to trade. IE, he won't go down 100$, but you offer to split dif if he throws gigbag in the deal.
    Just take it easy, be casual, smiling, respectfull, and you will get a good deal. Goodluck!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  3. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I'd bring an example of the lower price at another store. Go up to a salesperson (doesn't need to be a manager) and say, "Hi, I'm interested in the bass name here. I'd like to get it here today, but I have seen it priced at price, at place. Is there anything that can be done?" (Show proof of price you quoted)

A few tips to haggling:
    1. Know market value for your item. (You've done this)
    2. Be prepared to walk away without purchase (this is important. Don't fall in love before sale)

Good luck

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Negotiate price first. Get the discount. THEN worry about the bag. Say the bass costs $1,000 everywhere else and they are asking $1,100. Take care of the hundred dollars. Show them a competitor's ad. Once you get the hundred dollars knocked off, then simply say "Cool. Thanks. Throw in a gig bag and I'm ready to go." Odds are they will have a house brand bag they can grab from the back that will get you a bag and won't cost them much. (I used to be a salesman at a MI dealer so I can tell you this would work almost every time.) Then you have your discount an OK bag and can save up for a better one.

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    The store I go to when I buy new equipment, which is not very often, usually has the best price including online stores. They were about $100 more than an online store for a couple of bass cabinets so I went to the salesman and told him I prefer to buy local, what could he do for me? He matched the price - out the door, including tax. It doesn't hurt to ask.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just show him/her the better price and ask if they can match. But there is a reason they have to charge more (or make less) is they have higher overhead (retail space is more expensive than warehouse space). Also, as has been pointed out many times here, the fact that you might order the same model on line does not mean it will be the same. You are spending hundreds of dollars on a tool you will be using for years, if not decades. A few extra bucks is an investment in your playing (never mind the ethical issue).

Also, as others have pointed out, there are few good music stores out there to help with repairs and such. Starting a relationship is important.

7. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Show-up with cash in your pocket, pull it out, and say I am willing to spend $$$ and if they don't agree head to the door and don't hesitate. Either they will stop you or let you leave. As long as you are okay with either possible conclusion, go for it!

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    "I want to keep my money local and I want to do business local. This is what I need and can get online. If you can get us there, I'd much rather give you the business."...

INTP and dave64o like this.
  9. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Go in with a baseball bat and tell them "we're rolling back prices to 1965"

DirtDog and INTP like this.
  10. Tell him you're a TalkBass member.

You have know when to wield the power...:cool:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I've done it a few times in stores with the online ad ready go in my phone. I tell them it's online at x site for y price. I'll pull out my phone and show them I've gone through the checkout process all the way to the point where I see what the grand total including tax and shipping is going to be. If they can match or beat, I'll go with them. If not I place the order on my phone right in front of them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Note: I've only done this at stores like GC and Sam Ash. They're usually pretty good at matching prices.

12. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    And my post made me think of a question about your original post. You said the online bass is $100 less. How much is that is getting eaten up in shipping?

13. SweetKetchup

SweetKetchup

Nov 29, 2015
    Romania
    Shipping is free because the bass is moderately priced.

14. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Even more reason to play hardball then. The store a business, it's not your job to support them. It's their job to sell to you.