Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I get the Indian (India) Sound

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by TribalisticBass, May 11, 2005.

1. I am looking for scales that could help me get the Indian sound, excluding the harmonic minor(I already know that one.) If you could spell it out in comparison to Major Scale (R, 2, b3, b4, 5.....) I tend to get confused if you use note names. it's like a mental block. I know some of the scales would not have all tones represented. (R, 3, 4, 6, 7, R) I just made that up so don't jump me if it's not a real scale. I have limited theory knowlege. But I do have an interest in learning. So be a friend, and help a brother out. thanks :help:

2. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Tribalistic Bass; You're a shaman on that pork chop. I was in Monroe about......well before you were born. You're near that New Orleans zone.

Indian Ragas is a life long study for a few. Check out Steve Landberg's webpage: www.ragascape.com for 11 recorded examples of some of the old masters.

Check out www.musicalnirvana.com for more insight.

If it's raga notation with numbers, check out the 35 ragas related to western notation translation posted by Richard Peikoff (AKA, idick) at: www.acousticguitarforum.com Click on 'Discussion Forum,' then click on "Performing, Recording and Writing," click on page two. The thread's name is: "35 Ragas: A Sampling of North and South Indian Scales and Modes." Look at the original thread.

3. thanks for the links. will be great help in my studies. I was a music major @ La Tech. Before lack of funds, got me back on the streets. I have too many bills to go back. the sad part about theory classes there is they start at 1500's and work their way to the 20th century. I got to four part harmonies, in relation to the 16th century music. Music Theory 103.

4. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Your original post tells me you need real basic theory knowledge.
    You're dealing with the "studies" issue on your own (doing your homework.)
    You've got a computer and almost unlimited information from which you may choose to learn.
    But you may want to confer with a private teacher so you'll learn what is pertinent to your needs.
    A private teacher may be able to prioritize what study areas are neccessary on the road to reaching your goals.

5. I've been playing music for 14yrs. but was a woodwind player. theory on strings works easier in my mind. More visual I guess. My college days were also woodwind (clarinet) I picked up Guitar seriously 9yrs ago but have been self taught only. I picked up bass about 2 1/2 yrs. ago. I know a good bit about western modes, but am no master. In the begining I learned souly by tabs in guitar world. When I picked up bass (post-college) I learned alot really fast (western style & jazz). My best resource was acctually a guitar book (Single Note Soloing for Guitar by Ted Greene) but I just translated it to bass theory is theory right. I'm modest because there are people who know way more than me around here. There will always be more to learn around here. and as far as easter-middle eastern music there are no teachers here. And also those styles of music have a completely different theory, and thus I know Nothing. As far as the numbered system of learning I' dislexic, and my brain mixes letters, and I have trouble transposing to other keys. Sorry if I was misleading.

6. I guess I should also add that I'm not a DB player, but an elec. player but I haven't seen much in the way of theory on elec. bass side of things. Plus the guys here are more likely to be in schools or atleast have been to school. I believe in my fellow elecs. but I also know what kind of info can be learned from the guys on this side of things. I also have incorporated thumb position in my playing and had posted on it on the elec. side. they said to unlearn the habit that it was bad form.... I guess when I do finally get into DB I might have a step in the right direction. I have fooled around on DB but can't seem to get much byway of sound projection. Probably will see a teach if I ever decide to get serious with it.

7. If anyone else is looking for that India sound I strongly suggest the links provided by bass_means_LOW. They are exatly what I was looking for, thany you Bass_

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Me too, at least "in theory". I always aced ear-training but had absolute fits with written stuff. To make a long story short, I decided to "face my demon" and go for a Masters in theory/comp so I could get past the roadblocks in my way. Along that journey (and beyond that, in my unforseen career as a theory prof), I discovered something interesting: most dyslexics I've met do fine once they complete the circle and turn all of the fancy labels back into sounds (ironic, since that's what they were in the first place)...once the dots and labels became sounds again, transposing was easy, and all of the labels made sense because they all related back to a single sound source. Don't give up! Dyslexia is a burden, but it can lead jumbled folks like us on an interesting journey since it forces us to take paths that are not as well travelled as we search for "workarounds". Just keep at it and follow the sounds, and good luck. :)

9. iDick

iDick

Jun 11, 2007
    ''If it's raga notation with numbers, check out the 35 ragas related to western notation translation posted by Richard Peikoff (AKA, idick)." bass_means_LOW

35 Ragas: A Sampling Of North & South Indian Scales & Modes
    http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=61471

iDick :)

10. Stan Haskins

Stan Haskins

Nov 17, 2005
    NY and Miami
    I highly reccomend Warren Senders for any info or training regarding Hindustani classical music (ragas). Aside from being a highly trained Hindustani vocalist, he's also a double bass player, and played electric bass when he was young:

http://www.warrensenders.com/

11. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    Mike Richmond has always been into Indian music. You could check out his back catalogue. In fact, some of his pull-off lines and licks he uses on latin/bossa type things came from tabla players. When everyone was digging Stanley Clarke for playing double time samba feels, Mike & Eddie Gomez were busy importing tabla rhythms.

12. JJobes

JJobes

Oct 29, 2007
    Asst. Musical Director, Jacque Jobes
    the spanish phrygian scale is a great sounding middle eastern scale its the phrygian scale with a major 3rd (R,b2,M3,P4,P5,b6,b7,oct.) its manly used over alterd dominits:bassist:

13. beatstone

beatstone

Oct 29, 2007
    Indian Music is pretty Good to hear at. Good Harmony.Specially from Oldies Musics and awesome singers. Though I am not Indian, but I admire their musical history. You should try listening to some old musics like from 70s to 80s and you will get some backgrounds on how indian musics is advancing. These days, Indian music sucks.. all are either copied or remixed.

14. Bill McKemy

Bill McKemy

Nov 13, 2007
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Endorsing Artist
    I can recommend a 4 cd and book set called The Raga Guide, catalog # 5536/9 (barcode 1035755362). It was put out by the Nimbus record label and the Rotterdam Conservatory several years ago. It contains the alap (melodic introduction) of 74 hindustani ragas in western and Indian notation with ascending and descending melodic outline (treble clef) with analysis, historical background, text and a performance of each rag.

Bill Koehler at Illinois State is also quite an authority and has recorded jazz/raga pieces on upright bass with Indian musicians.

Enjoy the tintal!

Bill

15. chadspivey

chadspivey

Mar 29, 2008
    If you take the harmonic minor and make the 5th scale degree the root, you get what some call the phrygian major scale. Sounds really cool.

R, b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 8