1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how do i sell a bass on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Jan 4, 2008.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    hellow fellow bass players. I was wondering how do I go about selling a bass on ebay without a credit card to open the account? Also what do you you folks think the value of a musicman stingray excellent condition 2001 model would be worth? Approx how much do these sell for?

any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks sincerely growler

2. eversuns

eversuns bass nub :p

it might be better just to pay the 20 dollars it costs to sign up as a talkbass member and list it in the classified...

as for the bass I would say between $800 - $1000

3. Basdyret

Basdyret A Dane in China

Aug 6, 2007
    Qingdao, China
    You get a friend who has a seller's account to list it for you, you get a credit card - or you don't sell it on eBay.

I think the above estimate for $800-1000 is pretty accurate.

4. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Unless you have a credit card and register an account with eBay, the only way to sell it is through a friends account, if you know anyone who has one. Also if you go through the hassle and register yourself with a card, because your feedback will be zero a lot of potential buyers wont touch the auction because you are a n00b. Which means that unless you put a reserve on the bass someone could come along and nail it for opening bid.

Speaking of that, everything costs to list on ebay. The higher your starting bid the higher the charge by them to list it. You would be wise to put a reserve on it and the higher the reserve, the more they charge. If you can not host your own pictures, they will charge for that.

Then comes the formula on when to list it (to determine when it ends) and how many days to run it for the most potential hits. Then determine which category to list it in. Your best bet there would be to research the model you are selling to see how they sell on eBay... If I recall the best time to list I think is on Friday night and run it 7 days so it ends the following Friday night. You have to remember time zones and such as well so bidders on the west coast have a decent shot at it. But again that is moot because most won't touch you being a 0 feedback seller.

Also you would have to have a paypal account as most bidders won't deal with a seller unless they have paypal. Now to take in $1000+ on paypal you would need the premier account and because of that, Paypal will charge you a fee when you take the payment.

So we have fees from ebay, fees from paypal, fees everywhere and being new (0FB)...well I think you get the point. ;)

As was suggested, pay to list it here I think might be your best bet. ^_^

5. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    Try craig's list. It's a free internet clasified.

6. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    pre-paid credit card. You can buy these all over the place. But, until you are established as a seller, don't expect top dollar for your items. My account grandfathered the credit card rule which is kinda cool.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    An excellent suggestion!!!

There are several businesses that sell items on eBay for folks that don't want to do it themselves. One is iSoldit (I think that's the name) and I've seen others.

They do take a hefty percentage of the proceeds but you just drop the item off and get paid later.

I'd be careful though...the iSoldit (my son and I called it iBrokeit because they had so many negative feedback comments for items broken in shipping) in my town recently closed it's doors and, IIRC, the owner ducked out in the middle of the night along with everyone's stuff and money from recent auctions.

With ever increasing eBay fees and current conditions, it's increasingly difficult for those businesses to make a profit, which increases your risk.

I think selling it on TalkBass is the best idea (even though many of your potential bidders on eBay will probably be TalkBass members too)!!! The cost of a supporting membership will be less than fees that eBay and PayPal charge you...

Good luck!

8. Vladpire

Vladpire

Dec 11, 2007
    you dont have to have a "credit Card" per se, if you have a checking account, you can use a visa or master card debit card as well.

9. I agree. I haven't sold anything here but I've bought some significant gear (cabs, heads, basses) here. I'm always browsing the classifieds here as I'm sure many of the other members are.

Incidentally, I just bought a bass from Evilbay and can't imagine what % they and Paypal are getting from the sale. The dude didn't have a reserve. He still made good $$ but I wouldn't put an $800+ anything on Ebay just b\c of that. Especially when I can put as many For Sale listings as I want for as long as I want for $20 flat here!

There's so much GAS around here that your bass will sell for what you're asking, instead of hoping it'll meet your Reserve on Ebay.

Plus as mentioned above all the proceeds from your sale belong to you! You won't have Ebay or Paypal or one of those 3rd party Ebay sellers cutting in.

TB Classifieds Rock! :bassist:

10. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    If you're going to sell on Ebay, build up a track record of positive feedback, by buying or selling some less expensive items. If you have a Ebay record you'll get higher bids. A lot of people will not bid (or bid low) when an Ebay seller is new, or has a minimal track record. I spent a few months buying small items (stuff I needed anyway, and it was cheaper on Ebay. Socks, underwear, CDs etc). Build up a track record and spend some time looking at ads... track some basses and notice how some will sometimes sell for more and other times will sell for less, because of poorly written ads, bad photos etc.

11. kind of hard if you smashed it and can't tell it's a stingray...:meh:

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    :smug:

13. First, you need to put it back together, here's how:

Step 1. Duct tape.
    Step 2. Wood glue.
    Step 3. Glitter, for that added something.
    Step 5. There is no step 4.
    Step 6. ???
    Step 7. Profit!

In other words, go die troll.

14. hardest i've laughed in Talkbass history

15. Before these three get locked, I need to get something off my chest:

[​IMG]

16. {(b)A$spLaY(R)}

{(b)A$spLaY(R)}

Dec 15, 2007
    I thought you smashed that bass... hmmm... I would value a smashed stingray that you can't even tell it's a stingray maybe at ten bucks, not because of the bass, just because of the value of the material. If you hadn't smashed it, I would value it way higher. :)

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021