1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you get past having to put velcro on pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by n1as, May 5, 2019.

1. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Some of us are picky. We like new things to stay new. Sometimes it can be an issue.

I have several pedals. Want to have a way to have them all integrated together into one portable system (i.e. pedalboard) but I'm not sure I can stomach glueing some fastener material to their backsides.

How do you other ... picky folks get past this?

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  2. It’s that tearing sound, isn’t it?

3. 76jazzbass

76jazzbass Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    I've used velcro on tons of pedals and I dont remember ever ruining the finish when I removed it. If you're worried about it heat the velcro with a hair dryer and the glue gets softer so it'll come off easier. If you're really worried about it get a cheap enclosure for $3-8 and use the back cover to put velcro on then save the original.

4. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I don’t. Pedals are tools. Velcro makes these tools more effective for me, so I use it. YMMV.

Ekulati, ExaltBass, smogg and 19 others like this.
  5. 76jazzbass

76jazzbass Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Or just get back plate by itself. They have various sizes

125B Back Plate

6. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Usually by

1) Peeling the velcro off, only to reveal a portion of the pedal in more pristine shape than the rest of it.

2) Caring less about things that lead to the destruction of the planet (like perfect paint, don't get me started on the electronics), such as human tendancy towards perfection, let nature be what it is.

3) Being realistic about what the purpose of the pedal is and the trust that the designer accounted for some durability in the design of what is inside, not what its painted with.

4) Unique custom enclosures - you buy it "perfect" then add character that makes it yours, and embrace the memories you create with it.

5) Worry constantly about it to the point that I buy another pedal to step on so that I don't need to use the bypass switch more than once. This in itself is a wild ride of chicken snakes eating the tales of eggs.

6) Making lists on Talkbass about how to keep my pedals in decent shape rather than playing a bass through them.

7. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    That's actually a great solution for many pedals.

8. Can’t find the link, but you can buy BOSS/Ibanez bottom plates too.

9. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    lz4005, skwee, Snibborwocky and 19 others like this.
  10. Mineral Spirits are Your Friend

lowplaces, mikewalker and whero like this.
  11. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Large zip ties.

12. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    No it is the adhesive in the pedal!

13. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Brilliant! I didn’t know this was an option!

14. once you get through the icky-picky
    it gets easier

n1as likes this.
  15. If I have a collectable pedal to mount and Velcro is a concern then I will use a layer of gaffer tape to attach the Velcro to. It is almost as secure and should come off providing you don't leave it on too long.

willjb likes this.
  16. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    Whenever I sell a pedal I've applied velcro to, I always offer to remove the velcro in my ad/auction if the buyer would like. It's very seldom they want me to, but if/when they do, it comes down to a minute or two with a hair dryer to warm the adhesive. They always come off perfectly clean. On a side note, the same method works just as well with labels and tape on shipping boxes if you tend to reuse them like me.

HolmeBass and Saorex like this.
  17. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Don't use pedals and all this worry will go way.

18. Moose22

Moose22 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2019
  19. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Don't use a board? But honestly, if you want something designed to be stomped on to stay in new condition, put it in a glass case at home to look at.

Frank77, City, mikewalker and 5 others like this.
  20. Dbass35

Dbass35

Nov 23, 2018
    Put a layer of blue painter's tape on before the Velcro. Protects the pedal nicely and just as secure.