1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you get the "chug"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supersnake52, Jul 30, 2007.

1. supersnake52

supersnake52

Jul 22, 2007
    Theford, UK
    I apologise if this has been asked before but i would really like to get a decent "chug" sound out of my amp.

For exaple Steve Harris and such.

I have a 7 band graphic mid eq,
    Bass control,
    treble control,
    Gain,
    Enhance,
    compression,
    Volume.

So how does it happen?

2. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    For Steves classic gallop, the recipe is as follows;

Fender P, Flatwounds and staggering technique!!
    I believe the amp/settings has the least amount of effect on his sound!

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    +1

For old maiden you want boosted mids. If you want a Killers type sound boost them even more. On Maiden's newer albums it sounds like he scoops them.

4. supersnake52

supersnake52

Jul 22, 2007
    Theford, UK
    ive heard people talk about this scoop doo hickey before.

What is it and how do you achieve it?

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Scooping is removing the mids. If you had a graphic EQ the settings would look like a smile with boosted lows & highs and cut mids.

This can be a great solo sound but you'll get lost in a band setting if you don't have any mids / low mids in your output.

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I can get a Steve Harris sound from any amp. Yeah, cliched as it seems, but that kinda sound is all in the fingers. It's the attack, the strength of playing. Not so much the amp. Any amp should be able to dial in an Iron Maiden sound, just by giving it more mids than usual. That's the easiest way to get there.

After that, it's all about beating your bass mercilessly until it gives you that sound out of sheer terror! Steve punishes his basses.

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I can get Steve's sound almost exactly. You need a P bass strung with bright flats.