1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you let someone go?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by invisiman, May 2, 2005.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    As far as where you tell them. Do you call them up before a practice and tell them they're out? During the week? In person at the end of a practice? In person in general?

I'm in a situation where I might be letting someone go soon, and I want to know when the best time to find out is for the let-downee (if there is a time/way which is better than the others).

Any and all help is appreciated! :bassist:

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I would personally opt to tell them as soon as the decision was reached over the phone so as to save them the trip to what they think will be a practice session.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I prefer "in person", but phone is okay if necessary.

DO NOT EVER use email. Tacky.

4. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    when we fired someone a couple of years ago, we did it at practice as a group. it was real uncomfortable, but, I think it drove the message home.

5. There's really no nice way of doing it. It also depends on why you've got to do it. In person is best.

6. In person is best. You didn't describe the situation or explain why you are letting a bandmate go in your post, but it sounds like you are expecting this person won't be too happy about it? It's inevitable in most cases.

Personally, I wouldn't do it at practice. I would probably go over to the guy's house, or try to set up a "band meeting" time where you can meet up with him somewhere. Explain that you are doing it not because it's personal, but the band has decided it's best for the group if the person moves on to other things. Try to be nice about it. If you feel uncomfortable, take one or all of your mates along.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    In person, be polite but concise.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Do it just like you'd do it if you are firing a subordinate at a "real" job.

Always do it in Person... Keep it polite, consise, and professional.

Instead of doing it at rehearsal, invite him over for a "planning meeting" or something like that.

Just like a "real" job, chances are your guitarist knows its coming. Rarely are people fired or asked to step down without some guess that it's coming.

But before you let him go, have you tried voicing your concerns and see if he will improve?

9. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Several times, but it has been around a month now, and he's only learned one song out of a whopping 6 we've asked/told him too, so it's definatley time to let him go.

I guess it's hard to plan a way to give him the boot, as he never has a ride home from anywhere, and I don't want to have to stick anyone with that awkward drive afterwards.

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Funny that someone assumes its a guitar player with no mention of it anywhere hehe. And if the guy has problems with rides and whatnot, perhaps it might be best to go to him at his place and deal with it, rather than having him come meet you. I'd think he might appreciate that courtesy at least. I wouldnt be too worried about a phone call either really, especially if it makes it easier on everyone involved to not have to meet someplace or be gathered up.

11. Are the words "You're fired." polite enough? Just wondering, because they seem to be imminent unless our guitarist decides to put brain before ego.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Politely, yet firmly, and in person whenever possible.

13. Politely, yes, but apologetic, no.

Don't say you are sorry to see him go, because thats really just BS and he will know it.

You tell him that group has been looking at the path forward and he is not on that path. Thanks for everything, best of luck.

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my band only had to do this once. every other member quit on their own. hahah

anyway, so we had an overly abrasive guitar player. it sucked cause he was the dude who got me into the band, but after a year or so, he just got more and more abrasive where i didnt even want to come and play anymore. the finaly straw was we played a double header, and at our second show, he spit on the crowd. it sucked.

so, we unloaded the van and just put his stuff all in the corner of the room, and when he came in for practice my singer told him. offcourse he was pissed off, but it was best for the band.

15. watch the drew carey show...get some ideas from mr wick :D

sorry, ignore this

16. We briefly had a "lead guitarist" in our band. (Our other guitarist, that I started the band with, sings lead and basically plays rhythm, other than solos and such). He was actually a very good guitarist, but he was a jerk to deal with. He always wanted to change songs, and wanted to be the "star" of the band. He actually told my singer one time "we need to decide who is going to be the star of this band." He would also bad mouth everone in the band behind their backs, talking about how people weren't playing well enough, etc. I think he felt we should be playing like Primus or RHCP, rather than a local four piece cover band.

The main problem though was that he wouldn't stick to a set list, or stick to the way a song was laid out by the band. We did one and only one gig with him, and he just went off into solos whenever he wanted, broke into songs the band hadn't even rehearsed, etc. He would also have his Line 6 amp cranked WAY too loud all the time, and would always blame it on the amp, saying "it's digital...it's just turning it's own volume up." Then he'd make up some BS about how he had to have a technician hook it up to a computer to fix it, and how that would cost $500, etc. It was total crap. Speaking of money, he also tried to get us to help him pay for his rather crappy Crate PA system, which he had bought before any of us had even met him. (He was on some stupid payment plan with the guy he'd purchased the PA from) "Um, no, sorry...", we told him.

Finally, after yet another practice where he had his amp cranked way too loud, so loud that the drummer could barely hear himself playing (!)...he went home after practice, and the next day when he came to pick up a certain piece of equipment, all his gear was waiting for him out on our singer's lawn. :) Our singer fired him right then and there. He was pissed, apparently (I wasn't there, the singer volunteered to fire him himself), because he was that tired of his garbage), but he had to accept it at that point at least.

17. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    ...where he has immediate access to his guns. :eek:

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    funny, now that i mentioned my my guitar player, it seems like the one we have now is soon to be on his way out as well.