Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you use harmonic scale?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Baloo, May 12, 2004.

1. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    I mean on practice and theory.....

Do you like to use it?

Do you have any good tip or groove?

I listen it kind of misterious weird sound, so particular...

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    What do you mean by "harmonic"?

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Harmonic major/minor maybe?

4. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    I just know harmonic minor: C, D, Eb, F, G, G#, B, C

Could you tell me how is harmonic major?

Do you have experience using modes on harmonic scale (minor and major)?

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Harmonic Major is 1-2-3-4-5-b6-7

I don't really know how it's used though, I haven't really studied it at all.

6. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    I see the 7th degree make it sound harmonic.....

7. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Harmonic minor came about because 'some' classical musicians couldnt stand the fact that the stock standard minor scale didnt resolve with a semitone preceding the root.

The scale is generally used over Minor(maj7) chords, but it can also sound hip if you state some harmonic minor ideas over regular minor tonality. Just dont over use it in that situation, its more of a colouring device.

A good way of memorising the harmonic minor modes is by thinking of harmonic minor as an aeolian mode with a sharp 7. Then use that method for the other modes within the scale. So for example, all the modes would be

1st: Aeolian(Maj 7)
    2nd: Locrian(Maj 6)
    3rd: Ionian(Sharp 5)
    4th: Dorian(Sharp 4)
    5th: Phrygian(Maj 3) - also known as phrygian dominant
    6th: Lydian(Sharp 2)
    7th: Mixolydian(Sharp 1) - used over diminished chords

They've got official names, but my brain is fried from drinking too much last night so i cant remember them. I find the above method alot easier to remember though, because all you have to do is think of the regular modes with one sharpened note.

The most commonly used modes out of the scale are the ones starting on the 5th and 7th degrees.

The 5th mode(phrygian dominant) can be used over dominant chords that resolves to a minor chord.
    egs: G7 | Cmin7

...........unless stated otherwise, like: G7(#9) | Cmin7 <-u wouldnt use it in that situation.

The actual chord symbol that goes with this scale would be: G7(b9, b13) | Cmin7

The 7th mode can be used over diminished chords

The 3rd mode is also a good one to use over Augmented chords(or Augmented Major7 chords), but steer clear of the natural 4.

Hope that helps. Check out "Caravan". The C7 vamp is based around a C phrygian dominant sound(F harmonic Minor). You might find some nice groove ideas by checking out some of those recordings

8. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    Now I know something new, thank you

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Just to add to this... this is good scale in this context cause it has a flat 2nd/9th - which is a common solour tone in a V7 resolving to a minor tonic.

edit: oh wait you said that already!

actually, I would. b9 over a V7#9 chord, usually - well, in my experience - sounds good.

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm pretty sure in Creeping Death by Metallica they use a harmonic minor scale... at the end of the song you can hear it. Maybe give that song a listen, it's a good song if you like that kind of music.

~Graeme

11. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Yea, flat 9 over sharp 9 is a great sound.

But there is no sharp 9 in the phryg dom scale.(that doesnt mean you "cant" play it though)

over a sharp 9 i'd steer more towards an altered scale, or a half-whole diminished. Both have the b9 + the #9

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ... or whole tone... we've had this conversation before haven't we?! :D

13. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Wholetone has neither a sharp 9 or flat 9......but meh :D ...this can get like a merry go round

.....wait .....nm :bag: