How do you wire a linear pot as a tone.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Float on man, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    I’ve been searching for hours about how you can do that but I’m not getting anything. Any please tell me?

2. I presume you are talking about the passive tone control on a P bass or something, right? The answer is, well, generally you don't. But if you want to try and get a similar resistive sweep as an audio taper, you'd probably need a a very large linear pot, like a 1 Meg or even a 2.2 Meg, and the you put a resistor between the wiper and the anticlockwise lug. Probably something around 10-15% of the pot value.

Audio taper 250k pots are cheap and easy to get though... Just sayin'...;)

Float on man likes this.
  3. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Thanks man, I would use a audio usually but I’m in a pinch so yeah. Have a good one!

4. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Also, hate to be a bother but, which lugs are the wiper and the anti-clockwise lug. I’m still new to the terms and such. Well either that or I’m an idiot. Both equally possible.

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    The wiper is the center lug. In a basic Tone circuit, the capacitor goes from the center lug to the lug clockwise from it, looking from the bottom. The other lug, anti-clockwise from the center, connects to the ground side of the circuit. That should give you the correct rotation of the Tone control.

As a note, some of us builders do use linear pots for the Tone controls. I use them on all my Scroll Basses, with a big 0.1 mfd capacitor. It depends on the type of bass and how the customer plays it.

6. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Th
    Thanks dude, so, connect the capacitor from wiper to where all the grounds are supposed to be right?

7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    No, on my usual circuit, the cap goes from the "hot" side to the wiper. Then the other side of the pot goes to the ground side. But, you can wire it the other way if you want. All that matters is that the resistor (the pot) and the cap are together in series, and the pair of them go from hot to ground.

8. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Okay, so, I’m a tad confused, may you please take a picture of one of the tone pots in your scroll basses? I’m more of a visual learner. If that’s not too much trouble for you ofcourse. I’d hate to obligate you.