Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how does the ohms thing work??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the beginner, Feb 18, 2005.

1. the beginner

the beginner

Feb 18, 2005
    yeah I recently bought an amp and it has a maximum output of 300w @ 4 ohms, the instructions say I can handle a 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs or one 2 ohm cab and two 16 ohm cabs, I have a 2x10 4 ohm cab, it is only 4 ohms I cant switch it to 8 (I don't know how this works so please excuse me if this sounds stupid), well my question is, can I add another cab even if my actual cab is 4 ohms? I’m planning on getting a 1x15 and if I can, how many ohms should this one be? I hope some of you more experienced guys reading this can throw me a line, after you're done laughing that is hehehe, thanks, please reply.

2. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    The Ohm is a measurement of resistance. This is the resistance of your speaker. If you hook up your cabinets in parallel electrically, the ohmage is halved. So the two 8 ohm cabinets would now equal 4 ohms. If you have two 16 ohm cabinets and a two ohm cabinet it still equals four. So, if you want to buy the 1x15 you can, but you can't use the other 4 ohm cabinet in conjunction with the 15. If you want a 15 and 2x10s you have to buy two 8 ohm cabinets.

3. Scott Giambusso

Scott Giambusso

Jan 15, 2005
    Don't feel to bad. This is a problem I have always had and can only partially answer. If you use two 8 ohm speakers
    with your amp you will get the full 300w at 4ohms.
    Unfortunately two 4ohm speakers will need 2ohms of amplification. And I truly cannot tell you what a 4ohm and 8 ohm speaker will need to draw to be efficient. The bottom line is that your system needs to match up to be efficient. I am finally getting my rig together with an Acoustic image Focus2R
    which has 600 watts into 4ohms and 300 into 8ohms. I match them with two different cabinets and EU 1x10x5x3 with 8ohms and 250watts and an eden 1x10 at 8ohms and 250 watts. With the two cabinets I draw 4ohms and have the 600watts at my fingertips. This system is really efficient so I can get the most out of my speakers. I have experienced "headroom" for the first time in years since the SVT days I left way behind me. Te only problem is you could overdrive the speakers and tear a cone.

4. the beginner

the beginner

Feb 18, 2005
    thanx guys, question answered. i guess i'll enjoy my 2x10 by itself for a while, (it is enough for rehersals) but really thanx, i had no idea how the ohms worked.