How easy

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by baba90, Jan 17, 2005.

1. baba90

Jan 17, 2005
    I wanna learn how to play bass, is it easy to learn, and can someone find me a package please,

thanks e-mail at
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes and no.

as far as contemporary instruments go, bass guitar is one of the easiest ones to be able to start playing right away. To become more proficient and advanced, no instrument is "Easy".

"package" brings all sorts of things to mind - ;)

the big drawback with bass as opposed to guitar is that if you want amplification that will allow you to play with others, even your "beginner" amplifier is going to be a lot more expensive and heavier than a guitar players. a guitar player can learn, practice, jam with buddies, and perform in clubs with the same 20 watt amp. for us, a 20 watt amp will do the 1st 2 admirably. that's about it.
  3. baba90

Jan 17, 2005
    really, well i just wanna learn how to play and be able to practice, but i wanna look for a good deal. Do you think that guitar is hard or eaiser
  4. easy to learn the notes, yes. But you gotta be able to feel the pocket!!
  5. baba90

Jan 17, 2005
    what is a pocket
  6. it can be incredibly easy or incredibly challenging, depending on what you want to play.
  7. Playing bass is extremely easy.

I'm still trying to sound good....but the playing part is really easy. :D
  8. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Bass is as hard as you wanna make it, as with all instruments.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

10. .357

Jan 16, 2005
    To play any instrument really well is hard and requires a lifetime of an intense dedication, but guitars and basses are both relatively easy to get started on, thanks to the frets (except fretless basses) and low cost (compare violin or cello).

I'm a guitar player who will be getting a first bass shortly, and from what I know, guitar is probably the harder instrument to get started with, unless you just stick with really simple punk songs forever. On guitar, you'll soon be learning all kinds of chord shapes, which utiilize many or all of the six (or seven) strings at once. Even just simple barre chords require a lot of hand strength to fully depress five or six strings at once and can frustrate beginners who have yet to develop the strength. Ditto bending notes, a major technique in lead playing.

Learning scales and chords and the fretboard layout in general can be a bit confusing because of the way the guitar is tuned with unequal intervals between a few of the strings. Lead guitar licks and solos can become very complex and fast--listen to some good metal to hear what I mean--requiring a ton of dexterity and hand speed. Don't get me wrong, a guitar is awesome fun and extremely versatile because it's both a chordal and lead instrument--you can be a one-man band-- but beyond simple power chords, it can be a bit tough. But if you really want to learn, you'll be having so much that you won't care.

From what I know of studying and learning bass lines on guitar until I get my actual bass :) a lot of bass playing at the beginning and intermediate stages seems "easier" as long as you have a good sense of rhythm--but you need that for any instrument, really.

In the end, I say just go where your heart leads you. If you really dig the sound of the bass and what it does in music, go for it. That's why I want to play: I don't care whether it's hard or easy because bass just sounds so darn cool!
  11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wrong forum - moved.