Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How fit a wood mute

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Joe Taylor, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I have two wood mutes both are tow narrow to fit my bridge. I know I need to file or sand the mutes until they fit the question is what tool do I use to do this with? I don't want end up with a the fingers rounded off looking like some homemade hack job. These are nice ebony mutes one is over 30 years old. I just want to use them.

Joe

2. How thick is the bridge? Why not just carefully sand the bridge so that it's slightly thinner? Use a belt-sander - just be careful not to take off too much.

- Wil

3. Or just get a rubber tourte style mute; they're a million times easier to use and you can't lose them. Plus they cost like two bucks.

4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I already have a tourte rubber mute I want to give the wood ones away to a young player. I just want to make it look right thinning the bridge in not an option.

I was thinking of glueing some sandpaper to a chunk of plastic and sanding away.

Joe

5. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    I just bought an ebony mute today, I was annoyed that it didnt even come close to fitting...did you ever figure out what to do?

Chad

6. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Just sand away on the mute until it fits.
    Joe

7. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    is there any easy way to get the sandpaper in there and keep the sanding even?

(That was my real question.)

Thanks!