1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How long before rosin is to hard

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by tyggis, Mar 13, 2008.

1. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    How long will a rosin last normally before it gets to hard and unusable?

2. Depends on the humidity where you store it… but if it's a reasonable place for storing a bass, several years.

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Not that I'm putting in a plug for old rosin, but I've got two or three cakes of Pops from the mid-to-late 90's that I use exclusively. It's still grabby, but just thin enough to solo with without being uncontrollably strong (if that makes sense).

IMO, even old rosin has it's uses...of course, not all of those uses are musical :)

4. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    you mean, 'too' hard

5. I got a deal on a slab of it way back in the day (90's) I STILL have it today. I don't notice it being any less effective, so I will assume it is still good.

6. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    Thanks guys, I ask because I just bought a new rosin and it was like heaven. The old one was about 5 years.

7. mrcollins63

mrcollins63

Nov 27, 2007
    New York City
    I just brought some Pops its hard as a rock. should I take it back or pop it in the microwave oven?

8. Downright_Low

Downright_Low

Feb 25, 2008
    Play it...

I wouldn't microwave it, although I know people who have done it - to me it would just age it more, but reshape it so you can look at it and be pleased with it...:confused:

You must play the resin and adjust your techniques slightly, ever so much. If you feel that there are things you just can't do with it then a fresh one will mostly likely solve it. But I have several old cakes of Sherman's, Carlssons, and Nyman, which work fine and are special because they're old - they are different when new.

9. Rem's

Rem's

Sep 24, 2007
    France
    My rosin lasts about 1 year, personnaly. After, it becomes too hard...but I know someone who tried the oven and think it's a very good solution.

10. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I'm not much of an arco player, but I have taken my Carlssons and cut it in half when it gets too hard. The stuff in the middle is usually softer.

11. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    At home formula: Zip lock bag + 2 or 3 drops of water + pops - red plastic cup = lasting freshness.

In the bass bag: Zip lock - drops of water + pops in the cup = same result.

12. I use Carlson mostly, and Nymans sometimes. Both last me for years; I resurface either cake on a regular basis with a lighter, and that seems to keep it fresh and in a good, usable shape.

13. I've had a cake of Pops since 2002, a cake of Carlsson since 2004, and 3 different graded cakes of Gregorian Strings Oak since 2005.

These all seem to be very similar to the way they were when I got them. The Carlsson is the only one that stays open. I always close the Pops so it won't run all over the place. The Oak is in little boxes I keep the lid on. I think the humidity in Atlanta is sufficient to make the rosin last a long time. The past few days have been like a sauna with humidity at 85% plus. Of course the bass, the bow, the house, the dog, etc. are all a soggy muggy mess, but the rosin is just fine....