Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long until you "get rusty?"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Feb 18, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I find that if I dont pickup the bass and practice the songs my band plays... well after 5 days or so I get rusty and make lots of stupid mistakes.

I am no super star bass player that's for sure, but I am pretty solid in the pocket... as long as I keep practicing, that is.

Is this because I am a mediocre bass player or is this something most of you experience?

2. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    It's not bad, it's just a natural thing your brain does.-The 'use it or lose' it scheme. Like if I go a few days withour playing I get the same problem, but after a nice warmup and a few trys at playing songs or pieces of songs I start to remeber and play just fine.

Now If I went say a month or more without playing THAT would really take a toll, not just on the mind, but also my body-callouses getting soft, hands not strong enough to play confortably cause they haven't been pushing on strings.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    hmmm... I guess that makes sense. I just thought I should know the songs well enough by now that I shouldnt be making simple errors. Its not that bad really. Its like you say... I definitely need to warm-up.

But then again lots of people play 4 hour gigs. I cant imagine they practice all those songs often as that would take so much time.

Certain easy songs like Purple Haze I can play no problem even without practicing. Others like Suffergette City certainly require practicing often to stay sharp on.

4. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Not long. My long-term musical memory is terrible, so I have to go over songs constantly. The only thing I listen to on my mp3 player is our set list. I have played so many songs on various instruments that it is all mush at this point. Plus, I'm a visual learner, so unless I can see something written down, it falls out of my brain. If I go more than a few weeks without having played something, I pretty much have to start from scratch. I envy the guys who can just bust something out they learned 20 years ago. If it has been more than a week and the song has a loose structure, I'm gonna get lost. :meh:

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    sorry to hear that.

my guitar player is one of those guys you are speaking of. He knows an incredible amount of songs by heart. He knows about 75% of the Beatles catalogue alone. Seriously.

I think I might know 50 songs total and some of those I would have to have tab in front of me or I would forget parts.

6. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    LOL no lie.. I get "rusty" in about 2 days.but after about 20 minutes I get in the swing of things.

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    5 days, I had flu, didn't touch a bass for 5 days, and all the newly gained speed I practiced on the weeks before were far away. They where still there, but it required some time to find them.