How low?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassteban, Dec 3, 2004.

1. I'm thinking about an octave pedal- I've only played with an old dod or newer zoom, both fairly well sucked- what's the best, & how low can the best go?
  2. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    I ordered a RASTOP Super Bass Divider. this thing does an octave down plus has fuzz an octave up. tracks open E. pricey at 295.00 and worth it.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk anything more drastic than an octave below is kinda weird.
  4. I'm not looking to go more than an octave below a given note(I think there are guitar-oriented pedals that go down 2; not what I want); I guess a better way to phrase my question would be, which octave pedal tracks best & what is the lowest note it will respond to?

And thanks, John C.That sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check it out.
  5. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Are you going an octave down?
    Do you use a 4 String in standard tuning?

An octave below a E (around 41hz) is pretty low (21Hz).
    You could easily damage a speaker and not know it before it is too late. You may not even hear the ultra low frequencies distorting.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the best tracking octaver I've tried is the digitech bass synth wah. It's marketed as a synth/env filter but it has an octave down mode which is killer.
    I've found it tracks more reliably and lower (down to G/F#) than other dedicated octave pedals (including ebs, maxon, boss etc). For $80 new, it's a steal
  7. I play 5 or 6 string, but I wouldn't play below E with the octave on- I was leary for the above mentioned reasons; thanks for confirming.

And thank you, DavidM, that's also helpful- I love cheap, if it works.