Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how make the strings tight.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, Mar 8, 2004.

1. pools

pools

Feb 28, 2004
    I 've a wonderfull STINGRAY 5 strings i love this bass but i feel the strings too "soft" under my fingers....
    is there mode to make the strings tigher?
    is a problem of set up ?
    which kind of strings do i have to use to prevent that problem?
    thank you for your replay!!

2. some set of thick strings will solve the problem its you get some fretbuzz check if you neck is straight if not the do a setup.

3. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    hey,
    love the stingray.. i have had great luck with rotosound strings. add real punch to the stingray. never had a problem with em. cant say the same for countless others :rolleyes:
    yea i guess they are hard on the frets but oh the tone!
    see ya,
    vacman

4. I second this. I have a Stringray5 myself and I never enjoyed playing it as much as when I put Rotosound Swing Bass 665LCs on it. Rotosounds have higher tension. You probably put Ernie Ball Slinkys, which have lower tension.

DR strings, I have heard, are also good.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Lots of strings are good, and "feel" is all a matter of personal preference. Rotosounds might be perfect for some, but not for you.

If you think the strings are too floppy and want a "tighter" feeling string, I suggest that you either try a HEAVIER guage string - which will need to be tuned tighter to achieve the same pitch as a lighter guage string, or switchto a string with a hexagonal-shaped core, which makes the strings stiffer.

6. I'd have to sort of disagree here. Some people prefer lighter gauge strings. The real difference is TENSION, not necessarily the gauge of the strings. Higher tension strings feel tighter because of the way they're made, regardless of their gauge. I play light gauge, high tension trings, and I love it.