1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

How Many Basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rknea, Mar 5, 2021.

1. rknea

rknea Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Boise, ID
    I've been working on my UB skills for almost 10 years now. I started on a Shen SB-80 and got tired of lugging it up and down the stairs in my house, so I sold it and bought a NS CR5M. I had that 2 years, moved into a one level house so I sold the CR5M and purchased a Krutz 200 Hybrid. I played that for 2 years until I had the opportunity to play a '39 Kay and I bought the Kay, sold the Krutz. The thin neck was attractive at the start but ultimately started bothering my left hand, so now, 2 years later, I picked up a King Mortone. I finally have it dialed in and like it a lot, although the longer scale is taking a bit to get used to.

So...how many basses did it take you to find the "right one"?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Three. American Standard---> No-name Czech Carved---> NS LaScala.

In retrospect, I think I got lucky.

Reiska, rknea and Keith Rawlings like this.
  3. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I'm not sure ... will I know when I find it?

From 1975 to the present, I've had ten basses. Two of them (very cheap ones) I dumped immediately; each of the others had *something* to recommend it.

Stepping into arco playing really changed the qualities I desire in a bass - and it took me a while to figure that out - so there was some churning.

Out of the three basses (all fully carved) I own now, the cheapest one, a Krutz 300, is the keeper ... go figure. But I'll always be interested in checking other instruments out.

Lee Moses, marcox, rknea and 2 others like this.
  4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Adding a thicker fingerboard or wedge will help the Kay. My 1940 Kay is the keeper.

I’ve had at least eight basses over the last fifteen years and haven’t as much found the ‘right’ one as realized that my tastes have changed, and know that there are a lot of good basses to choose from.

lrhbass, Michael Drost and rknea like this.
  5. rknea

rknea Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Boise, ID
    I love my Kay and am really torn in selling it, but I need to replenish the savings I used for the King. I think my ultimate bass would be a La Scala or an Upton Bohemian Hybrid.

6. 1st bass - Blonde Kay (came with iron tripod bridge which horrified my teacher who refused giving me lessons until I got a traditional wooden bridge cut for it). Bought for $150 sold for $150 three years later).

2nd bass- Plywood Lewis, not a great bass but got me through college (sold 6-7 years after acquiring).

3rd bass - Horst Grunert Lott model, commissioned in 1985. Will never let go of that one.

4th bass - 2010 Shen Gemunder 7/8s flat back willow. Used as a general backup for when the Grunert’s in the shop or when I need to leave a bass for multiple nights in a pit or hall. Also use it at school when I get pissed at the school plywood basses.

7. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Gold Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    I kept my college bass for over 30 years. I kind of skipped a few steps this past fall and bought a 170 yr old Tyrol that has incredible tone. Love the sound and it could be my last but.... I am thinking of trading my old college bass for a hybrid or something for outdoor gigs. Prob some sort of travel bass. Can’t see ever wanting anything else.

So I guess 2 or 3 for me. Who knows what life will bring my way though.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  8. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    2...Shen.. Now I own a 1945 juzek...

9. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    The real ones after testing the waters shortly with 2 messed up DB`s and 1 cheapo EUB are 1) Anton Schroetter hybrid rent to own 2) Gewa fully carved - - - - Shortly after got lucky and got my Jay Haide, which had been my dream bass. I`ve had a bit of problems with it`s size, it`s big and I am not, but I`ve also learned to work around that. I`ll see no other reason than the size to ever move on, it`s a lot of bass for me for the rest of my life.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  10. Martin Beer

Martin Beer

Dec 4, 2004
    One borrowed, one EUB, one rented, then a Chinese plywood bass that was returned and replaced for a fault (so two of the same model in succession).
    Then an old German bass that turned out to need a little more work than I could put in (sold on as-is with full disclosure), then the old German bass that I have now.
    So that would be three double basses actually owned before my current one.

Reiska and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  11. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Jul 11, 2013
    I started with one that a friend of a friend let me have for a couple of month. When he ordered it back (to soon, to soon) I had to get my own, a not very fancy carved 4/4 (the bigger the better, I thought) that 15 years ago I stringed with Mittels (that are now sadly breaking apart one by one) and in all that time had a jumpy learning curve teaching me that all the unhappiness-producing-obstacles encountered were to be found with me, not the instrument.
    I still do believe that it is me who has to adapt to the instrument, not the other way around.

Reiska likes this.
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I haven't found it yet, I just ran out of money. I bought my first, a German no-name ply, in 1981 followed by a Juzek ply in the mid 1990s. The Juzek is as close as I will ever get to a carved bass.

unbrokenchain likes this.
  13. I think, 4? I started on an old Kay C-1, because it was all my folks could afford. I quit after college for a year or two before getting caught up again. I sold the Kay and bought a Calin Wultur, and a few years later sold that and bought my Arvi. I still have the Arvi (it’s for sale) but a year ago I had Seth Kimmel make me a bass.

I also have a plywood Shen, which is a fun bass to play even if it sounds a little dead.

14. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Three: a Wilhelm Eberle (strung with guts), a Lidl 5/35, and a Strunal 5/30 (I believe). Except for the Lidl being a hybrid and the Strunal all ply, and the Lidl having a beveled 'board and the Strunal not, they are essentially the same bass so, easy transition.

neddyrow and Hachimitsu like this.
  15. statsc

statsc

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Two: an old Kay, then a mid-1800’s Tyrolean flat-back blockless, my forever bass!

I also have an Upton Standard ply with a removable neck, and would love to check out their “suitcase bass” if it ever comes on the market!

16. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    As Bob Dylan once wrote,

“How many basses must one man own
    Before he finds that special one?
    The answer, my friend, is bowing in the wind
    The answer is bowing in the wind”

17. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I think I've owned 9 basses so far. Finding 'the one' is not really a goal for me at this point, because I doubt I will ever find it. I just like some basses better than others and have been fortunate to come across some good deals.

AGCurry and marcox like this.
  18. Rama Temmink

Rama Temmink

Nov 30, 2015
    Took a while, but Grace is a keeper:

IMG_4052.JPG

19. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    I'm on my 2d. Thumped an Englehardt for about 10 years, just recently bought an Upton hybrid. Given my level of playing and expectations, it is hard to imagine I'll ever get to a point where I think I can/want to do something this bass can't do for me.

Joshua and AGCurry like this.
  20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    2, sort of? My first bass was a 50s Kay M-1, I ended up selling that after I bought a Mittenwald factory bass from the mid 20s. I still like it and I still own it, but I commissioned an instrument from Jed Kriegel and have been playing it pretty much exclusively since March of 2019 when I took possession. It has a removable neck, so when I've disassembled it for travel, I'll drag the German bass out of the case, I still enjoy playing it and it sounds good. Just not as good as the Kriegel.
    I regretted selling the Kay, so it's unlikely I'll sell this bass. I've had some vicarious fun (and guest tickets!) loaning it to a few cats who've come through (Eric Revis, Malik McLaurine, and was gonna loan it to Luke Sellick, but his show got Covid Cancelled) when they're doing the bass du jour thing in the area.

oh, right, pictures or it didn't happen... 60336095_10215888022852484_3004040726871801856_n.jpg IMG_20191009_113930379.jpg IMG_20191009_114015844.jpg

Joshua and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021