Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many gigs would you like to play?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by IotaNet, Dec 13, 2004.

1. 6 per year (or less)

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. One a month

20 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. One a week

23 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. As many as I can -- I gotta keep the lights on!

41 vote(s)
    46.1%
  1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

I work a 9-5 (more like a 7 - 7) corporate job and learning to play bass is a sort of hobby/relaxation/fantasy fulfillment thing for me.

I would love to get good enough so that I could play 6 or so gigs a year and jam with some friends in the meantime.

I was wondering if that is a common desire or are most of the bassists here "serious" and trying to play a weekly (or more) gig schedule?

I'm interested in your thoughts.

2. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    My band is playing about once a month right now. This is perfect for me and the rythm guitar player, as we are both trying to get through school. The lead singer of a great local band is in his second year of mechanical engineering despite his band being on the road for 2 months at a time (half a semester). We don't have that kind of smarts. :(

Travis

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I also have a corporate job but I go nuts if I'm not out at least once a week.

I can handle about 4 nights a week if the gigs are there.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Lawyer here. Nearly every Friday and Saturday is my limit. Occassionally we'll throw in a Thursday gig, but it ruins me both the next day, and wears on me by Sunday. Its more of a sleep pattern thing for me, harder to get back to 9 to 5 after getting home at 3am three nights in a row.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North

Same here - if I was gigging once a week, it'd be great. But I'm just as happy to gig once a month (or less) as long as I get together with the boys and jam once a week.

I do this with two bands right now - bass in one, geetar in another.

DD

6. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    So true! I would love to do as many gigs as possible, but reality (job, family) makes it tough. Friday night gigs kill me, work all day, travel through horrible traffic, get to gig...plus rehearsal is Thursday night for 2.5 - 3hours... it wrecks me for the rest of the weekend!

Love Saturday gigs! Give me every Saturday night and I'd be estatic!

7. What's funny is that I used to live for playing out, now that I'm all old and settled down and playing out requires moving gear which hurts now...

I still get kicks out of playing and being able to play- I guess part of the game is taken away if you're not trying to score 'tang! :p

8. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I voted once a month but if the pay is good..say at least $100/man per night then I would play more often.

I too have other responsibilites (wife, kids, career) but the extra money makes it worth it. My wife never complains about a gig if I can bring home a crisp Franklin or more at the end of the night.

9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    ...so, you'll play once a month for $10? ;)

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id like at least one a week but I think I could handle more. Id love to play every night if my body to keep up.

11. My band plays twice a week. Every Friday and Saturday. We have a week off every month, but we do not have weeks off durring the summer and can play much more than twice a week.

I just wish I could tour like the bigger bands and play a bunch of shows durring the summer for all the money and then have the rest of the year off to write music and do other things, like school and work for me!

12. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    My band's schedule is rather erratic, but I would play as many gigs as possible. 3 a week if I could (with the 2 regular rehearsals in there as well.) Right now I'd say our average is about 1 a week, and while it's fun, I would love to gig out more. I work a 9-5er too, but have more than enough energy after work. Hell, half the time I'm not playing I end up catching a show anyway.

13. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    working fulltime as a bassist but still not pulling in enuf just yet so six a week would be sweet!!!

Dodge

14. Like most replying posters, I work one fulltime job. I also have a family and own a small photography business on the side.

More than once a month with one practice a week is kinda pushing it for me, but like others said... if you get a good paying gig, or two in the meantime you don't turn them down!

15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    For me it's not the number of gigs, but the quality of gigs. I'd rather play 2-3 quality gigs a month than 8 crappy ones. What I mean by quality gig is that it has 2 of the 3: responsive crowd, cool venue, and decent pay. Personally, it's not that much fun for me to play in a dive with a crappy crowd to get $50 at the end of the night. Nowadays, with my life being busy as it is, down-time is treasured.

Ideally, I'd like to play at least 2-4 quality gigs a month.

16. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    hehehe....bone headed typo on my part. Indeed it should be Franklin not President Hamilton.

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm with Jive on the quality of the gig over quantity.

I voted as many as I can, I gotta keep the lights on. Only if they are quality gigs though.

18. A regular sat gig once a month would be perfect for me. Enough time to learn new material, practice it, and spend time with the g/f....and I almost have it...we'll know after tom nights gig...

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I promised my wife that after the first of the year, I'd cut back on the gigging a bit. Bookinds for January were a bit slim. Unfortunately, in the last week we've filled in every Friday and Saturday, not a single exception. All great venues, all great money. She's going to kill me . . .

20. kansas666

kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    3-4 shows a month is about average for us.

I like the 2 nighters in one place - twice the pay, half the gear banging. :hyper: