Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much are lessons?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by goodguy782, Jul 27, 2004.

1. goodguy782

goodguy782

Jul 20, 2004
    california
    I've been playing for about 6 months and ever since I got on TalkBass I've been reading all about how important lessons are if you want to make the best of playing bass, unforetunetly I'm a bassist on a budget (right now my whole set up cost less than 150 bucks!) so before I go looking for an instructor I was hoping to get an idea of how much I'm gonna have to shell out. Also any suggestions for a quality bass\amp for a beginner that isn't a fortune but I can play as I get better and not feel like Im strumming a P.O.S.

Thanks!

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    depends on where you are. I'm in Chicago and charge $40/hr if students come to my studio and $50/hr if I go to them. Some teachers charge less, some more. I was taking lessons for a while that were $75/hr. I am a degreed professional so I needed to find a really great teacher. Just depends. Lesson teaching rates are set solely on what that teacher thinks their time is worth.

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    $25 half hour in Minnesota or so...

4. The average price everywhere is 40 bucks a lesson. SOme more, some less, but that's the standard. That's too steep for me though, so I went a found a teacher who only charges $25. I live in NYC. Even in a place with so much teaching competition it's hard to find an experienced teacher for less than 40.

5. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I'm paying $20 US for online lessons, one every two weeks. That includes an hour of personal instruction via mp3, a bunch of sheet music to practice (like 25 pages the first week) and some mp3 files of examples. Works pretty good for me.

Oh, and you'll always feel like you're playing a POS - that's called GAS. :)

6. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Oh, but that's after 6 months of personal instruction. Lessons by correspondence will only benefit you if you already know how to hold your instrument, proper style, etc etc. Go personal for at least 6 months is my suggestion.

7. wow, i feel like i got an awesome deal then with my lessons, i get mine once a week for 1/2 hour, he comes to my house, and they are $17.50 CAN which i dont think is that bad...

8. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Yah, my private lessons (went to the music store) were $16 CDN for 1/2 an hour. But I think you pay for experience.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I pay $16 CAD for a great teacher who's been playing for 37 years :eek: . That's during the school year, atm I'm taking guitar lessons for $10 for half an hour from a younger fella (still six or seven years older than me, though).

10. bmanbill

bmanbill

Jun 29, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I agree with the poster who said you pay for experience. I've taken lessons with symphony bassists who charge $75/hour. I've been playing and teaching jazz/pop/rock for nearly thirty years in Chicago and charge $40. I believe that's a fair price. You want a teacher who has longevity as well as a wide range of abilities- unless you only want to learn to play one particular kind of music.

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Well, lessons on playing bass aren't important. Lessons on music and theory in general are.. and incorperating that into picking up the bass can help one's musical development.

I had about 11 years of Piano and 5 years of trumpet.. I never took any bass lessons.. I turned out okay. But remember, it's not about taking lessons, it's about experience. Involve yourself with a musical community as much as possible (not online, but hey.. TB counts due to meet ups and stuff). Play with groups, church (unless you're athiest like myself), school, jam session with an organized jazz band, etc.

12. When I was away over the summer I got 6 weeks of free bass lessons, we played everyday anywhere from 45-90 minutes. I cant believe how much lessons cost, there is no way my parents would pay that. Whatever I have a bass on the way, so I guess I can teach myself from here. Anyway I feel that lessons are really helpful to learning, the first time I picked up a bass I had no Idea what to do and at the end of the 6 weeks I was playing in a good Jazz Band. :bassist:

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    The music store in my town offers lessons for $65 a month, 30 minutes a week. I would prefer an hour a week for that kind of money. Though I might still try some lessons when I get a job again.