How much can a Ampeg 410HLF really handle?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by acmmisfit, Mar 21, 2011.

1. acmmisfit

acmmisfit

Apr 22, 2010
    L.A., CA
    i see that ampeg sells the HLF paired with a svt-7 head which is 1,000 watts and the cab is rated at 500 watts, but i see guys pair it with svt4's and svt2's, i hear that that the HLF can really handle A LOT, i have a HLF and im tired of my B2R head, i want more tone and power, i use a sansamp bass driver to get my tone on it, but i want an amp that dont need a pedal to sound good

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    ampeg doesn't sell heads packaged with cabs. the 500w power handling is the 410hlf's real world handling limit. i think you can find amps with tones better than the b2r, but i don't think i'd use a head that had more than 500w.

3. acmmisfit

acmmisfit

Apr 22, 2010
    L.A., CA
    well on the GC website they sell the HLF with the SVT 7 (1,000) watts

4. ubersku

ubersku

Sep 15, 2010
    Keizer, OR
    I run my newly-acquired SVT-VR (300w) through mine. Not even an issue while gigging this weekend! Before that, I ran my Markbass F1 (500w) through it for over 18 months. Smooth...

5. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    i run the svt 7 pro with my 410hlf. no problems for me thus far. I've had it since last june. No need to really push it too much, it gets very very loud. the 410hlf peak handling is 1000 watts. That said i wouldn't dime the master on my 7 pro. the highest it has ever been was gain (as always) at noon, comp at around 9ish, and volume at noon just to see how loud it was. It was much louder than any situation i have run into has ever needed.

6. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I run my Hartke LH1000 through my 410HLF. Never farts, never cracks, never fades. Great cab. Great (POWERFUL) head (LH1000). It'll handle an SVT7. But beware, there are so many horror stories regarding the SVT7. Nice looking and sounding lighter weight head, but apparently it has the tendency to die after a week! UNLESS they've worked out the bugs. And please everyone, don't go screaming, "mine has never died, mine is great, mine dosent break". I'm just going by previous threads, about 30 reviews on dealer sites, and friends that work at GC seeing constant returns and repairs for it.

And yes, GC and Musicians Friend DO sell them as a pair. Not Ampeg.com or anything, but dealers do. It'll probably sound great. If it's not a dud head. I played through one running a 410HLF at a GC for about 10 minutes and thought it sounded great. But just because it can handle a lot (and it does, I play gigs/weddings through it EVERY weekend, Thursday - Sunday), don't CRANK it! Everything has a breaking point, be it the cab or the head. (I'd bet the head :meh: )

7. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Bet that sounds nice. :cool:

8. Just dont turn it up all the way. use your good judgement....

9. If you're concerned, get an 8 ohm cab instead. The 7 Pro is rated at 600 watts when running at 8 ohms...

10. ubersku

ubersku

Sep 15, 2010
    Keizer, OR
    :smug:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021