How much $ for New Years eve gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by driver800, Aug 4, 2004.

1. What is a reasonable premium to charge for a New Years Eve gig?

My band has been asked to do a New Years Eve gig and the bar has asked for a price. We are a rock cover band doing mostly danceable stuff for the 30-40+ crowd. We played there recently and got $500 for a night and they loved us - we're in regular rotation now. They can hold around 250 people and are normally pretty full. Their normal cover charge is $6 and they'll likely charge $12-$15 on New Years eve - but they don't charge the regulars or anyone the band brings in.

So we were thinking of asking around $1250, maybe $1500. (the bar provides pa and lights, but the lights are minimal - we're going to offer to bring in an upgraded light system and someone to run them - 4 trees with 4 lights each and an awesome controller).

No, I will not say where the gig is. :smug:
  2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I think you're right on with your 1250-1500 range. I'd ask for 1500 and settle for 1250...not a penny less. Curious...why doesn't the club charge "anyone the band brings in"? Do you mean your guest list, or does that include anyone the band draws? :confused:

How many people in the band? I personally wouldn't do a New Year's gig for less than 3 beans for myself. General rule of thumb in my area is triple scale for New Year's.
  3. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Very similar senario for my band last year. We got paid $1,250 for NYE.
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Same for my area. Triple what you normally get.
  5. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Do some homework if you can.Find out what he has paid in the past for new years eve.Definately find out what he is getting at the door.Typically bars are not the best place to play on New Years Eve,they will always give you grief about what this band or that band will play for.Private parties, especially for civic organizations, or large companies etc. pay much more.I think 1500 is BOTTOM LINE.I haven't played for less that 2500 in years on new years eve(and I'm in South Florida, not exactly a mecca for high paying gigs).This is the one real chance musicians have to get something back for all of the crappy paying jobs you play all year.You still have time to get out there and see who is doing what and where.Where are the large halls or venues in your area, who has booked them, and what kind of entertainment are they looking for.A little bit of leg work now might pay off big time in the future because alot of organizations will stick with a band they like year after year if you play your cards right.I played the Plam Beach Yacht club for 12 years running because we got the gig and we did the job well.Don't sell yourself short.That having been said, you know how good your band is.Do you want to take the easy money and run.Tough choice.Good luck.Rock on!
  6. thanks all.

the club lets us print coupons for our own people and they let them in for free. there's 5 in the band so we'll get $300 a piece at $1500.

yeah, the more i think about it, triple the normal rate sounds about right.