1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much signal I will lose?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chrisbass76, Apr 5, 2009.

1. chrisbass76

chrisbass76

Feb 14, 2009
    Hi guys,

I'm really digging looking for new sounds, but here in Brazil where I live it's hard getting them. In a week I'll be in California, so I was thinking about getting some new stuff.

I already have some pedals which I use in line - an old EHX Q-tron, an old EXH small stone, a bassballs and a micro pog. I've saved some money and I'm buying a moogerfooger LPF, a Memory man with hazarai, a bass micro synth and an earnie ball volume pedal.

What I,m afraid is the amount of signal I'm going to lose, as I already lose some with the pedals I have. What do you suggest Ido? Is a looper a good idea?

p.s. any suggestion on other interesting pedals I could get, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    A pedal with a good buffer would help with signal loss. One of these days I'm going to test my board to see how signal attenuation there is.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sure, a true bypass looper, like Lehle, or Tonebone, etc, will alleviate your signal loss, until you engage the "on" switch anyway.

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    No offense to the OP, but I've noticed that the ol' "ludicrously-hifi-with-no-signal-loss" fad is still going :scowl:

Just add a boost pedal at the end if you're really worried. Someone on here actually had a final boost on his board for that very reason. I forget who it was, but IIRC, he had like 15-20 FX.

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The newer EHX pedals are true bypass, so you could swap your old ones for new ones if you are worried about tone suck. Make sure you get the newer BMS as the old one has a notoriously sucky bypass. And the Moog is strange because the drive circuit is still engaged in bypass mode and acts like an always on dirty boost, which some people love and some people hate and get around it by using a bypass looper.

It's a good idea to buy or make a small simple bypass loop box, then you can use your ears to see how badly the pedal chain is affecting your clean sound.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, it's much better to have a sheen of sonic crap that makes noise and cuts down on freq response on both ends layered over everything :spit:

Even in an SVT, my old Small Stone made it sound like it had a blanket over it. Forget that. If I can get that same sound in a true bypass version that at least doesn't suck tone when it's not on, I'm there.

BTW, I just got a Nano so no need to suggest getting one, thanks ;)

7. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    And how are you liking the Nano. I have one myself. Get some good dirt going with the VT and put the Small Stone after. Phaser after fuzz/OD is one of my favorite combos.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It came in last Friday, and I'm still in Duluth until tomorrow evening. So I can't tell you yet. All I can tell you is the clips sounded identical to what I remember from my old one, which is the absolute best phaser sound ever. The color switch makes a nice de facto auto-wah, too!

9. +1. signal buffers work too, but a cheap true bypass loop will more than work.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Im not talking about pedals that ACTUALLY suck tone, or those that still put their effect on the signal when "off". They suck, and I agree that they suck.

[minirant] Im talking about peeps worrying about how much their TU-2 is affecting their signal. Or what affect a cable has on the mids, both of which I have still yet to see any scientific charts on. You would think that someone would have a couple of FFT graphs or something :rollno: [/minirant]

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Long cable runs usually cut down on highs before anything. Fortunately they're in the range I hate anyway, so I can use pretty much as long a run as I want ;)

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Heheh.... +1 :D

13. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Good job Jimmy and Dan!

14. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006