Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Often Do You Use Effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 25, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i find myself unable to integrate effects into a lot of songs. its mainly because i love the sound of bass as a bass.

if anything, i'll whip out my auto-q and get sum wah sounds. but like overdrive to me is weak in a lot of areas. same with chorus.

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I use Overdrive/Dist in almost every song my band does, and one currently uses an octave down too...Theres also possibility for Wah and Chorus at some points.

3. Every time I tune my bass, and when I want to hear something different then my bass tone. Btw I own the dgitech bp50 pedal.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I mostly just use my delay or overdrive every once in a while. The synth wah is there to screw around on during a jam or when i feel like making funny noises.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Every second of every song :)

6. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    never used any effects in 8 years onstage. theres so much possible with fingers, strings, picks, pickup blend, and the sound of a good tube tone or solid state tone. arent those "effects" too?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes but some situations call for some stuff that cant be faked by technique, some stuff you can pull off with delay is pretty fun.

8. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    +1

For me a good dose of English Muff'n into my Crybaby From Hell :bassist:

9. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i guess delay can be interesting. but i liek to save that stuff for the guitars.

for me, a little overdrive, maybe. then again, natural overdrive with your amp is just cooler.

a wah pedal is the only thing i may look into. just because tis different.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I envy those who use effects well. I've heard bassists get all kinds of great tones, including synth tones. Me, I got an envelope follower to imitate Stevie Wonder's synth bass but didn't have much luck. So I sold it.

I do use light to medium overdrive fairly regularly (either tube or tube emulation). I don't care much for squeaky-clean bass tone.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If you bi amp you will never miss the sound of a bass.:bassist:

I always have something on. At least a chorus and a Sansamp.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    For rock I use effects very rarely, maybe 1 out of 10 songs. But when I do use it I go for heavy OD/distortion. I hate to rely on effects and just use them for added colour.

13. me too...

14. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I almost always have my chorus on. All my overdrive comes from my Mesa head. I have the feeling if I had a delay, I would use it a lot too, that will be my next investment.

15. Never really...

I probably would use more delay and octave if i had a decent pedal. The 708-II just doesn't cut it.

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I have at least 3 pedals on for each song I do with a maximum of 5 pedals on out of 7 depending on what I'm doing, this doesn't include my a/b box or tuner which are being removed from my board.

17. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I almost alway have at least one stage of distortion on.

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I agree completely here. I don't have a single effect.

19. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Almost never. But I do want to get one of those Zoom B-2 pedals.

20. I use a flanger during an intro to one song. Alittle bit of chorus sometimes.

I was watching a Siouxsie and the Banshees show on VH1 and the bassist used a chorus throughout. Sounded so cool (for that music).
    The problem I have is that most effects (wah, Chorus, etc)
    semm to "treblize" the tone.