1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Rubbish Are Ibanez cheap basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldprussians, Apr 19, 2010.

1. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    United Republic of Europe
    IT Professional!
    Is it just me....

I have tried various Ibanez Basses from 200 to 700 Euros/Pounds.

Problems I have found....... Frets not finished off properly... Pickups not straight! And these were notb stock.

I realise that they were made by the OEM shine Factory but still an Ibanez.....

2. Let's see -------> 700 Euros= approx $943.10 USD. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I guess that there's damage done by shipping.

They are all in pretty good condition here. Even the 200 EURO ($270.00 USD) are OK and not that bad.

Maybe your definition of 'cheap' is askew.

What do you mean by: 'stock' anyway?

3. he means "B stock"

i've personally found theentry level ibanez basses to be just fine. they don't appeal to me, but they're just fine

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    well, if youre talking that price range...

There is the SR706, which is a pretty nice entry 6 string in my opinion.

There is the SR900, which plays and sounds great!

There are all the ATK basses, which a ton of people love, and have a cool feel and retro look to them.

There is the SR500 series which, while not my style, a lot of people dig for the mahogany body and quick neck.

I will agree that their Gio line is crap, but they are VERY beginner instruments, so what do you expect? As for all the basses I named, i really enjoy them for their price points compared to other companies.

5. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    On the contrary, the Ibanez SR range (which starts about £250) are without doubt the best made and set up basses I've ever come across at that price.

6. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Maybe it just something in the UK... all the ones here in that price range seem to be very good quality... i just bought a SR706 and it is a pretty sweet bass...

7. Murph#2

Murph#2

Mar 24, 2010
    murph#2
    I had an Ibanez Cheapie, I don't rememer the exact model # , It was an SR and the numbers were below 500, may have been an SDGR200? picked it up out of a pawn shop
    for 75USD, I was really impressed with it's playability, It was the setup I really liked which was low and fast-It got stolen, If I see one like for cheap I would get another.

8. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    I've seen some pretty terrible flaws in Ibanez' cheaper lines, but I've also seen some great players. I think that, for the most part, they are well constructed and well setup.

And the best bass for metal...

9. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    I have three Ibanez GSRs, all under US$200 list, all bought in different places at different times, and the fit/finish on all three are outstanding. One was slightly used, one ordered from the warehouse, and the third was in stock at a dealer. I have handled - but not bought - some of the mid-price basses (SR/SRX in the $300-600 range) and they all impressed me with their QC. Maybe I've been very lucky, but I have no qualms about shopping for another Ibanez when I need a new bass.

10. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    A friend of mine recently bought an ATK and I couldn't get over the quality. It really wasn't far off a Stingray and at about a quarter of the price. Ibanez might not be my bag but they're great instruments and really well priced.

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I agree. I wonder what the OP's real agenda is here.

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

ATK series (especially the 700 or 750 series) are very, very well made instruments.

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I don't know - I played a "cheap" Ibanez this weekend that was quite impressive - - it wasn't one of their low-end models, but it was selling new for ~$500. Barts, nice EQ, nice look, nice neck...

By "Cheap" do you mean their low-end ones? Yeah, I'd expect they were more or less crap (Quality does cost *some* money...)

14. Maybe he has extremely high standards or just got his hands on some really bunk basses. I have had good luck with both Ibanez basses I have owned. The one I still have was my go to bass for several years. Beat to crap but plays like butter.

15. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I have the opposite opinion- cheap Ibanez basses seem good for the money. I currently own an ATK700 and a GSR206 (the cheapest 6'r thay make) and love the feel of both. The 206 came with pickups that weren't very good with the low B. I'm still waiting on aftermarket replacements, after which, this thing should be great!

16. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    +1
    I've had 3 Ibanez SR basses and still own 2 of them. I'd put them up aganst anything.

17. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    An old salesman once told me that ibanez stood for, I been had!

18. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i'm thinking of getting one of those jet king bases.

i really want a cheapish passive bass with at least 21 frets. the jet king looks perfect.
    anyone know how they play/sound?

i would get an atk if they still made the passive ones. they did at one time, but they seem hard to find.

19. JDHolmes

JDHolmes

Jan 6, 2010
    Personally, I picked up a used SR300 for $100 and while I have five others, this is the one I pick up when I practice...love the sound and the neck, really low action that just keeps me coming back everyday

20. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    All of my Ibanez Soundgear basses have been great. I have played other models as well and have never had a problem with any of them. Sorry to hear about your experiences with them.