How tall was Ray Brown?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by davechamb, Aug 16, 2005.

1. davechamb

Jan 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Does anybody know how tall Ray Brown was? (I've watched a lot a footage and saw him play so I've got a vague idea but it's really hard to tell exactly.)
  2. Ray and me with moustache. I'm 6'1" Ray maybe 6'?
    Sorry about the quality. I chose the low Q.
  3. There's a CD entitled "The Very Tall Band" recorded live at The Blue Note, which features Oscar Peterson†, Ray Brown and Milt Jackson - I'm assuming that that trio were all pretty tall, unless of course the title of the CD referred to when they were standing on each other's shoulders.

- Wil

† Happy 80th Birthday Oscar!!!
  4. I think they were talking about a tune called 'Very Tall' and an album by the same name.
    dave, can I ask you why you wanted to know?
  5. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Damn Paul you are too thin in that picture...
  6. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    I envy you Paul....

I never got the chance to meet RB. Never even saw him play live... :(

I was heart-broken when he passed.
  7. You sound like my mother T. This was in about 1984.
  8. As i've said before (many, many times) on TBDB, I am one lucky cat. I'm 63 and I've been lucky enough to have played with just about everybody. Some were in 'house band' situations where you only get the chance to play together for a week or so, but still, enough time to get to know these people on a first name basis. For example, this one was taken at one of those Dick Gibson Jazz parties in Denver. There were about 5 to 8 players on each instrument.
    I've had a wonderful jazz life.
  9. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I did get to see Ray play with Benny Green and Russell Malone at a small club in St. Paul a year before passed.

He playing was incredible and seemed so effortless.

BTW, I am guessing he was about 6' 1" to 2". He seemed so much taller than the other two.
  10. Hello? Is there an echo in here?
  11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Nope, just some skimmers.
  12. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    My deep apologies. I had not seen your earlier post with your photo.

That is what I get for skimming on my board along the edge of the surf.

He did seem so bigger than 6 foot.
  13. As Ed says "It ain't no thang."

We all do it.
    I think this is true of our heroes. I had the chance to hear Bud Powell and Lester Young before they passed. I had 'em both pegged as giants.
    The first time I played in front of Ray was a Milestone for me. I felt it would happen eventually, just wasn't sure when.
    After having 'BROKEN MY CHERRY' in terms of frightening musical situations by playing in Bill Evans left ear for several weeks, I felt 'Ready' for Ray. The chance to hang with Ray for a minute before playing helped alot.
  14. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    That same night at the club, I ran into some bass players that went to a open masters class he had given at the Univ. of Minn that afternoon. They said that Ray was a gracious host and very supportive of the students who went up to the stage.
  15. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004

I got to see him twice at Jazz Ally, I still can't quite describe what an impact the first time had on me, I had been playing DB for about six - seven months at the time and seeing Ray made my mind click in that special way that makes you say “I get it!”The second just made it go deeper.
  16. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    What really upset me was that he was on his way to NY and would have been here in about a month. I was planning to see him and very excited about it. Well, I take solace in my record collection and I'm very grateful for that.
  17. I had missed him at his last run at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago, just a couple of weeks before he died. I thought, "Oh well, he'll be around again next year..."

*Heavy Sigh*
  18. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I never got a chance to see him play. In reality I was probably a bit too young...
  19. I still wanna know why you are asking how tall he was... :bag: