1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How the heck did he do that?!?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Cubeface, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    How does he do this?

http://www.bassplayer.tv/ --> click "Lessons" (under "Channels"), then click "New Dimensions 1"

You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it, it's near te beginning of the video. It sounds like he's scratching a disk or something.

...how did he do that :confused:

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    That lil bit you're talking about was an envelope filter

3. Hes also using his flamenco slap technique at that part with the envelope filter. He talks about it in another part of that DVD. I'll pull out the DVD later and remember how he does it.

4. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    Flamenco slap? I'll have to dig dipper into that technique. Are there any videos on how to do it?

5. bassling

bassling

Mar 3, 2006
    All the flamenco slap really is is popping with your tumb and slapping with your index finger.

You use your thumb to pop by pulling away from the string and then slap the strings by coming down on them with your index finger. I find that its barely ever useful, but sounds pretty sweet when its used right.

6. That video "New Dimensions for Basss" by Doug Wimbish is the only one I've seen explain it. They even had it at Guitar Center

7. I might also add that Doug pops/pulls with his thumb from the top side of the string. (opposite of how you would thumb pluck with double-thumping)

8. Hmm, interesting

9. Wow, Doug is the man.

10. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Went to see Living Colour on the weekend (for the 4th time) and Doug Wimbish was fantastic as always! Got to meet him after the gig and was happy to hear he isn't using the Ibanez Basses anymore. Always prefered his Spectors or Warwicks (not a bash at Ibanez, just wasn't keen on that particular model when I tried it).

Here's a photo I managed to get with him (was on my mobile so a bit dark).

Attached Files:

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

A bit dark!!?? Completely black! :p