How the hell can I fix this?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by incognito89x, May 17, 2005.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I was trying to install some Dunlop straplocks on my spector today. I guess the screw was made of silly putty or something but the thing frayed so quickly. Then it got jammed in there and wouldn't unscrew. Now i've got a terrible dilemma.

How the heck am I going to get that out?

I tried using some pliers but it didn't seem to turn at all and just mashed up the screw more...

Any ideas?
  2. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Find a strap wrench and give it a whirl? Worse comes to worse, take it to an experienced repairguy/tech. Thats nice wood (bubinga?), and ya dont want to mess it.
  3. Grab the screw end with some vice grips, then slowly and carefully work the screw counter-clockwise and clockwise. It should loosen up and eventually rotate all the way out.
  4. How the hell did you do that?

The screw goes on through the "female" end of the straplock, so you were screwing in the screw, without the straplock, then stripped it?
  5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Big Visegrips. Nice and easy, now...
  6. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    That was the after effects.

I was screwing it in as normal and about halfway down the screwdriver just started tearing the screw apart. I pulled the screwdriver out and there were metal shavings all over. It seems like the screw was made of really weak metal or something. The way it looks in the picture was after I cut the top half of the screw off. There was pretty much no grips left on the top, and the straplock was half screwed in and there was no way it was coming unscrewed either so I had to just take a hacksaw and cut the screw top off.

Now I may not be the best handyman but I've never seen a screw fray as easily as this one did.

My dad is going to bring me some vice grips from his work tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to solve this little debacle. I'm also going to try the set of screws from my old strap locks (before putting the staplocks on) to make sure it'll work this time around.

I installed some (ordered from MF) on my Warwick with no problems at all. This set was a pair from All Parts, and the screw was different than the MF ordered ones.
  7. I don't know about Dunlops, but on Schallers the screw is longer than the stock screw. I always check and drill the hole to the correct depth and I've never had any problems.
  8. wow same thing happen to me when i was putting a replacement bridhe on a bass. but it snaped flush. any idea how to fix it. i figure i could try to drill it out then fill it. it will be covered by the bridge.
  9. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Well problem is now solved.

Came home and I guess my dad had done the work for me.

Tried the old screws from the other set and they worked no problem. I also noticed that I couldn't seem to find any of the 3 prong connectors to keep the strap ends on. I'm not sure I'm going to trust anything from AllParts anymore after all this.
  10. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I don't think it was, I think it was the installer.
  11. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Well obviously that was a part of it, but the screws that I used this time around had no problem whatsoever. I didn't change anything from what I did the last time. Also the fact that it was missing parts after I fixed the screw situation doesn't make me like them any more. I noticed the screws were different from the official package but didn't think anything of it til this happened.

I ordered the exact same straplocks from Musicians Friend and had no problem installing those either. There clearly was a problem with the screws in the allparts package. It got stripped almost immediately once it got some resistance. Once using the other set of screws, no problem at all, even when I put some effort getting past where the original screw had stopped.
  12. Incog - when you twist as many of these plated screws as I do, you run into this all the time. Don't blame AllParts. They make a fine product but they don't make the screws used with them. Those probably come from any one of a dozen asian fastener manufacturers and likely from several over the course of a year. These screws - and just about all plated brass screws - are notorious for doing just what you experienced. Just keep a box of spares around and you'll be fine. BTW, I NEVER use these screws anymore anyway. In fact, when I get pups or tuners in the shop, I take these screws and throw them in a bin and replace them with my own stainless steel screws. With this I do two things - first I have a fastener that won't ever rust and second, they don't "fray" (great term) like the cheapies.