How to learn 70 songs in 2 weeks, possible?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by twilightcall, Jun 16, 2004.

1. twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Hi guys. I found a pretty decent gig and I was wondering if it is possible to learn 70 songs in 2 weeks. I have done 40 and it was rough so I thought I would ask for tips. It is a cover band so should I just learn the root notes and worry about fills later or just make up my own fills? This is a lot of songs so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Please be honest too. Some of the songs I have never heard before either. Thanks.
  2. root notes, and id starts now! 5 songs every day!
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It all depends on how well you know the songs to begin with and how similar the changes are. 70 songs in 2 weeks = learning 5 songs a day.

It's obvious that the better you know the songs off the bat, the easier they'll be to learn. Also, there's a very good possibility that many of the songe will have similar chord progressions, so you might be able to learn two or three songs by learning one (we're talking 3 to 70 odds here, though)

If the band really wants you on board, then they should cut you some slack. That said, I don't know what the requirements of the gig are and you didn't state what kind of band it is. If you're doing top 40, It's a pretty big task regardless, if you're doing all 70 songs and it's a Rush tribute band, well, good luck, you'll need it.

The best thing to do is ask your bandmates if they are willing to make a setlist in advance so you can target practice the songs for the gig.

As for the fills, Play the ones that you know will work. Avoid the ones that don't.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I often have to learn lots of songs at short notice.

Yep keep it simple. They would rather you hold a groove than try to show off. Save that stuff for the songs you're very familiar with.

I also write out cheat charts that remind me of the chord progression. For some songs they're only 3 lines - one for the verse, one for the chorus, and one for the bridge.

For other songs, the ones with the tricky arrangements, you might need a whole page.

Write them in Texter, and make your writing big enough that you can read the chart if it's on the floor in front of you. Some band don't like to see a music stand on stage.
  5. twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks Guys for the info. It is mainly top 40 but top 70 except these aren't the top hits you would expect. It has some modern alternative rock but mainly material from the 70's, 80s, and now. I am familiar with maybe 20 songs. Some are fairly obscure for a cover band and to be honest I am surprised it goes over well.