1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to make my own bridge

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Milivojepicuric, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Milivojepicuric

Milivojepicuric

Jan 26, 2012
    Hi everyone. I wanted to ask if anyone have some meassurment, or something, because I want to make my own bridge. I have good wood, and I know the man who is good with wood... But I just dont have any meassurments and things... Please, more specific - better. Its for 3\4 double bass...

2. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
  3. Milivojepicuric

Milivojepicuric

Jan 26, 2012
    yes, but I need it for free :)))

4. A1334.
    varnish.

5. Nothing is for free.

6. Often that is the most expensive way.

7. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    I wonder why is the reason why almost no one make their own bridges?

should be the maple be an exceptional piece of wood?

Should the maple should show rays to be a good bridge material?

8. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    I don't believe they're actually "standard". If I remember correctly from my reading, different blanks can have different dimensions. Perhaps you should take your bridge off and survey it.

9. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    There are a few different "standards" for bridges, and a lot of repair shops do get blank bridges in (looks like a bridge, but top and feet are very oversized and are shaped from there) instead of starting from scratch.

Carving a bridge even from a blank is a lot of work. Obviously the feet have to be matched to the top of your bass, and every bass is a little bit different. Getting it to fit perfectly to the top is an art, and then you have to match the top to the radius and/or bevel of the fingerboard. From there, most shops and makers do a considerable amount of other shaping of not only the thickness, but the wings and cut outs as well. The mass of the bridge can greatly alter the tone.

I am not saying it can't be done. I imagine it would be a lot easier to go from a piece of wood to a blank vs. a blank to a properly fitted bridge.

Best of luck.

10. YUP.

11. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Its not like you are trying to build a large scale particle accelerator....

If you have moderate woodworking skills or just good intentions, get a few basic hand tools and start carving away at a piece of wood until you get to a point where you are satisfied. Chances are you'll make a few mistakes with dimensions, wood selection, and overall setup and mass, but you'll learn a ton in the process. If you decide it is not what you want, put the old one back on or take it to a pro to install a new one. If you have a drill press, a spindle sander, or a scroll saw....an hour later you'll have a bunch of bridge shaped objects! Bridges and tailpieces are a great starting point for people with an interest. Give it a try and post a few photos for the visual nerds around here.:)

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

Fast Freddie likes this.
  12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You should post some pitchers of your bridge, James! :)