How to make my recording sound better?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by him666, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Ive recorded something from my bass to DAT Tape. From DAT Tape to CD and from CD to Cool Edit Pro (Adobe Audition).
    Now when i hear it back it doesn't sound fat. It sounds a little empty(hollow), "far away".
    Do you have any advice/tips to make my sound more fat? Are there any tools for that in Cool edit pro or adobe audition?

Please help.
    Thanks in advance!
  2. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    take it to a mastering studio
  3. It's called Generation loss. Even though the DAT and CD are digital recordings, I imagine that you've used analog outputs to transfer it yes? You probably only have a soundblaster type sound card too? Try recording it directly to your computer, or to the CD. Rip the CD into your computer instead of playing out of the CD player and recording it to the computer.
  4. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    It's called listening environment, if you don't have good speakers and proper acoustic treatment in your room then it's hard to read how a certain recording is going to sound in different environment. Which means you don't know what you're hearing in you room an could do more damage then good. So before buying anything that makes things fat you need to fix your listening environment and then you can play around with the EQ / Comp that Cool Edit has. DAT is old, but still can outshine any current top quality recording if it's in the right hands and ears.