1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to price and sell a bow?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by rwkeating, Jan 18, 2017.

1. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    I have a German bass bow (and case) that I'd like to sell, but I have no idea what it is worth or how to price it. I bought it in the late 70's and can't remember what I payed for it. I can barely read ALFONS RIEDL on it. Searching for that name I can find bows, but none are bass bows. Could that be the style of bow rather than who made it?

Are bows normally sold in person (locally) so they can be tried?

As you can guess, I've been out of the upright world for a long time. I sold my bass many years ago but kept the bow thinking I'd get another bass. After all these years I realize that isn't going to happen, so I might as well sell the bow.

2. That's the name of a shop, probably a small one.

You've likely seen via Google that there are violin and viola bows with that stamp available for $500 to $1000.

Factor in the currently weak market and the fact that the market for bass bows is small, and I'd say you might get somewhere in the low hundreds if someone who likes it comes along.

It's common to sell instruments and bows on trial, which means that the prospective buyer ponies up the cash up front and the buyer holds payment during an agreed upon trial period, during which the parties negotiate a return or final price.

rwkeating likes this.
  3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    You might want to take it to A440 Violins or Sonksen strings in Chicago to put on consignment. The advantage is that they will market the bow; the disadvantage is they will take 20%. At the very least they would give you an idea of market value, but as KFS say, the market is very weak -- and slow at the moment.

Louis

rwkeating likes this.
  4. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    I posted some pictures in my gallery. In one you can clearly see the name ALFONS RIEDL on it. Maybe it really is one of his? That doesn't mean it is/was expensive. I know it couldn't have cost much because I bought it used as a poor student.

full?d=1485461033.

5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Hmm. I wish I could find more on this. It seems like the bass bows are rare. I understand that doesn't necessarily make them good and/or valuable.

7. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Just to follow up, I took the bow to a violin shop that also works on basses and got an idea of a price. They recommended I get it rehaired and polished/cleaned up and that I'd get more for it that way. I decided to sell it as is as the price may already be a stumbling block for some. I posted it for sale here