How to ship a Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Invader.Gir, Oct 10, 2005.

1. i have a friend a few hundred miles away and i'm gonna loan him a bass until he buys his own, how would you guys reccomend me shipping it? it has no case or bag btw. thnx
  2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I would definately recommend it shipped in a thick gig bag or a hardshell case, I've shipped 2 out in hard shell cases and arrived no problems, my F Bass was well packed and shipped to me in the nice thick F Bass bag and it arrived no problem, I just sold my Lakland, I'm shipping it in a hardshell case, with bubble wrap stuffing the inside of the case so the bass doesn't move around too much, and just stuffing the case in a box (not too worried about the hardshell case getting dinged up as its pretty sturdy.)
  3. i dont have any hard cases and i only have 1 gig bag and i can't let it go, i was thinking maybe wrap it in a blanket and double box it or something.
  4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I was going to say bring it to one of those shipping stores like the USP store or something like that......but it most likely would be cheaper to just drive it over to your friend yourself!

A good thing to try, go your local music store. They are always throwing out instrument shipping boxes. Try to get one that had a bass with no case (like the Fender Standard basses). I did that recently at a Sam Ash near me. They let me search threw their box trash bin, and I did find a box that worked!
  5. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    If it has a bolt-on neck, you may save a fair amount of money by removing the neck. Smaller box.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Some new basses are shipped to the store without a hard case or gigbag.

For peace of mind, it might be best to buy a cheap gigbag to ship it in. Then go to a local music store, and get a box that a bass was shipped in, and pack it well.

Moved to Miscellaneous.
  7. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I agree if it's a bolt on neck, removing it from the body would save you a lot of $$$. Wrapping it in a blanket might not be a good idea, as it WILL move around during shipping. Bubblewrap is a bass' friend, especially the neck. If you think you've got enough, wrap it another couple of times. Buying a cheap gigbag would be a good idea if you don't want to take apart the bass. I'd recommend DHL over Fed Ex or UPS, but that's just IME.

8. it's a bolt on so i'll take it apart b4 shipping and the bubblle wrap t jeebus outa it, thnx (i'll check music stores my my closest on is 50miles away) thnx for all the help
  9. Speaking from personal experience: a hot water heater box can be cut down if you have trouble locating a box a local store.

10. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I sent a bass from Michigan to Texas by putting the bass in a gig bag and then rolling that bubbly shipping stuff around it, then in a bass shipping bag (going to musci store for one is a good idea). It got there not problem. Be sure to insure it.